Sony DVD Player Problem

rbeltz48

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
A friend of mine has a Toshiba 23L1350U 23" LED TV connected to a Sony DVP-SR210P DVD player. She previously had it connected to her old TV and it worked fine. It is connected exactly the same way I have my Toshiba 39L1350U 39" LED TV & my Pioneer DVD player connected:

DVD Back
Yellow - Video out
Red - Audio out (Right)
White - Audio out (Left)

Back of TV from DVD Player
Yellow cable to Green - Video Y1
Red cable to Red - Audio (Right)
White cable to White - Audio (Left)

The TV input is set to Video. The TV screen shows "No Video". I have tried different DVDs in an attempt to troubleshoot why the DVD won't play on the TV screen. I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Any ideas?

Solution
The actual cables are just RCA cables. What they are connecting to at each end is the issue.

Component - component
Composite - composite
Audio L/R - audio L/R

larkspur

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

^^^Or this^^^^

Either way, composite video is not good quality compared to component.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Green is a color code for one of the video channels for component video, not RCA video. It seems that the cables are not hooked up right. That TV does support normal RCA inputs, so this can be done. The user manual for that TV is at:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=3596913&isFromTOCLink=false

The part concerning hooking this up is on page 24, with a cable diagram on page 27.

Basically, that cable should be plugged into yellow on both sides (Y/Video in the user manual).

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

It has both Component and RCA outputs for video. Unfortunately Sony refers to the RCA connectors as "Phono Jack", including the audio ones.

There are pictures of the back of the DVD player at many sites offering it for sale, including Best Buy at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-dvd-player/4790684.p?id=1218532316628&skuId=4790684

The Toshiba manual that I mentioned before for the TV has diagrams showing the TVs connectors at:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=3596913&isFromTOCLink=false

It is true that Component would give higher quality output, but RCA will work and Component video needs three video cables.

larkspur

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^^^RCA connectors are used for a variety of connections including composite and component.

The best thing to do here is to purchase a set of component cables like I linked, this will give the best quality that that DVD player can do. Alternatively, the user will need to go into the TV menu and specify that the green RCA component connector is to be used as a composite video-in. I believe this TV uses the green RCA component connector as a composite video-in connector but it must be set to do that within the TV's settings.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Ah, you are correct on the TV plugs :)

The best option is probably to just get an HDMI cable, though, as it has both video and audio in a single cable and both the TV and DVD player have ports for it.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

That is a good point - I assumed that all of the Sony models would have that, but this one apparently does not :(

rbeltz48

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Both the TV and Sony player have both composite and component connections. I have connected them through the composite connections as I stated above in my original posting. It works with my equipment but not with hers. The Toshiba TV settings don't allow for the setting of individual connections as larkspur stated. It only allows for the general input to be chosen:

Ant/Cable
Video
HDMI1
HDMI2
HDMI3
PC

I wonder if something in the Sony player menu needs to be changed since my friend was using an analog TV before and now is using a digital TV. Any clarification on this would be appreciated as this problem is driving me crazy! Thanks.

larkspur

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Unfortunately that DVD player doesn't have a digital video out. Composite and component connections are analog. On page 27 of the TV's manual (linked above by wildfire707), it shows how to hook up a DVD player using component video cables. It also shows how to hook up a VCR with a composite cable. It looks like the TV should accept a composite cable on the green video-in connector. But you said it doesn't seem to work... If you can't get the TV to accept a composite video connector, then your only other choice is to use a component video cable (which it does definitely accept) or get a new DVD player with an HDMI output.

rbeltz48

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Is there really any difference between the yellow, red & green composite cable and the red, blue and light green compoent cable? If there is no difference other than the color coding, what would be the equivalent matchup between the two? The reason I don't understand why this won't work the way I have it connected is that the Sony player works with an analog TV and my Pioneer player works with an analog TV or a digital TV. That's why I'm confused that this will not work with composite video.