Sony Ericsson's 'PlayStation Phone' Previewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The PSP2 is a $999.99 device, which, to me looks like a 3000. It may still use UMDs but I'm not sure. I know that it has WiFi and 3G capabilities. The PSP phone, is considerably cheaper (at least it should be, considering that it will be for the mobile phone market.) The iPhone was only, what? Maybe $400 when it first came out? Maybe cheaper. But still, If there is any phone that is more than $500, then it better have a pretty good App market and/or cheaper games. But, me personaly, would go with the PSP2. Might last longer.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah I agree with the above if it is anything like iPhone pricing you can expect some heavy service fees and the device costing upwards of $600.

This device doesn't look like it has a ton of potential to me. They should stick with the PSP and PS3. It look them too long to come out with this device. It is too late.

Nintendo 3DS is going to be the biggest thing of 2011 for all video gaming and the biggest thing for handheld devices period. Sony can't touch that system. I'm not a fanboy of either company but I know what the facts are. Maybe I am turning into a Nintendo fanboy though since the 3DS is so damn cool.

G

@mikez

the PSP2 or NGP as it will probably be named does not have UMD, it going be using a proprietary flash card and any price north of 600 would be silly

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
They may be creating themselves a larger stalemate market with this move. Those who will wait to see which one takes off as far a game content development.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
If it is under 200, I will probably buy one for my next phone, since it runs Android. My friend has the Droid 2, and I like it alot better than my iPhone.

The fact that it has a controller layout screams emulation all over it!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
The site was unable to verify the actual processor used in the device. Instead, Quadrant and Android System Info was used to discover that it has a single-core CPU clocking from 122.88 MHz to 1 GHz, and is coupled with an Adreno 205 GPU.

If those specs are accurate than I doubt this will be much of an actual "gaming" device. I have an Evo with the same specs and I can definitely say it gets "choppy" when playing games.

Mikez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
@NGP

Well, I would still not buy it. Mostly because if I already have the games on UMD, why the hell would I buy tham again? It seems pointless and a get-rich-quick scheme for Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.