Sony Found an ''Anonymous'' File on SOE Servers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

People keep referring to anonymous as a group. It's not. There is no formal registration required to gain admission. There is no hierarchy of internal power. If Kim Jong IL wants to consider himself a member of anonymous, then he is. If he wants to consider his actions as emperor of Mean Korea as being related to the agenda of anonymous, then they are. People in this thread are talking about anonymous' reputation being sullied from this incident. I find it ironic that people are starting to perceive "anonymous" as a brand. Anonymity means lack of a brand.

G

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
here is what i would have done.

i would find a vulnerability, not explooited it, just kept it in mind till s#$% hit the fan.

they probably found it around the time they took linux out.
waited till they went after an individiual
and probably sturred the pot a bit.

once psn was going down from a ddos attack, they hit that vulnerability like a fat kid on a cupcake.

at least thats what i would have done.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]What a difference a day makes... I've said from the start that GeoHot and or his firends Anonymous were responsible for this attack and today Sony confirmed it and provided us with evidence they left behind. It won't be long at all before we start seeing arrest by the FBI, all I have to say to comfort the hacker during your stay in Sing Sing, "Don't Drop The Soap.". To all those that called me crazy a few days ago...how do you like me now?[/citation]

Still crazy, perhaps crazier

Anonymous is the online equivalent of a protest group. Like a protest group, there are leaders, followers, and radicals. The leaders truly believe in a cause and follow a moral code to make sure they don't step on others to achieve their goals. They organize and give people the tools to join them. Then come the followers, they aren't as capable as the leaders but bring sheer numbers, helping to give substance to the cause. Then there are the radicals. The radicals don't feel the leaders do enough and then take things to the extreme to accomplish the task. The protest may have started peacefully, but thanks to the radicals, it's now a riot and the followers are getting tear gassed.

Point is, a radical may have done this. One person's actions do not represent a group.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
As of now, I do believe that Anonymous is responsible in some way or another and have undertaken a part in the theft. As I understand it, the Anonymous is not some one coherent group - its simply a collection of like-minded individuals. Its membership isn't cast in stone like with other clubs, but rather its a revolving door style where members can join and leave as they wish.

All this means that it could be very possible that a small, highly knowledgeable subgroup of the Anonymous used the DDoS attack to carry out their own goals, while blending in.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I don't know what's so hard to understand about:
Sony f***ed with the internet and then the internet f***ked with it.
This basically ruins PSN's credibility.
Most people have credit card insurance anyway.
The victims are not the customers nearly as much as Sony itself.
I don't know why anonymous or any other would be to blame for this when Sony was clearly playing with the laws of nature.
If anything, we need much more of this crap to happen to have corps handle themselves appropriately because the governments are too corrupt to regulate them and protect consumer interests.
PSN is down. For the best interest of America. Deal with it, play PC games.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]as much as I don't like the way Sony process/keep user's information, I guess its time to take these script kiddies down.[/citation]

uuuh no...it's time to bring sony down

Warning ... use of DDOS tools like the low impact ion cannon against this site, or any of our mirrors will result in the user being permabanned ... we still have your IP if you use a guest account to flame us or post prohacking activities so I urge you to leave us out of any conflict real or imagined you may have.

Otherwise you won't be able to access our forums for help the next time you have a problem with your computer.

THG does not condone hacking, cracking, or other nefarious activities of this ilk ... read the TOU for reference.

We are a worldwide community of users who have computing as a hobby.

Rattle your tin cans and stand on a milk crate on another street corner please !

Thanks ...

:)

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]I don't know what's so hard to understand about:Sony f***ed with the internet and then the internet f***ked with it. This basically ruins PSN's credibility. Most people have credit card insurance anyway.The victims are not the customers nearly as much as Sony itself. I don't know why anonymous or any other would be to blame for this when Sony was clearly playing with the laws of nature.If anything, we need much more of this crap to happen to have corps handle themselves appropriately because the governments are too corrupt to regulate them and protect consumer interests. PSN is down. For the best interest of America. Deal with it, play PC games.[/citation]

You sir are a fully certified retard, now get back in your wheelchair and wait until someone straps you back in

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]I don't know what's so hard to understand about:Sony f***ed with the internet and then the internet f***ked with it. This basically ruins PSN's credibility. Most people have credit card insurance anyway.The victims are not the customers nearly as much as Sony itself. I don't know why anonymous or any other would be to blame for this when Sony was clearly playing with the laws of nature.If anything, we need much more of this crap to happen to have corps handle themselves appropriately because the governments are too corrupt to regulate them and protect consumer interests. PSN is down. For the best interest of America. Deal with it, play PC games.[/citation]

well said

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

This.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Scapegoating Anonymous as a group is ridiculous. In the early days of Anonymous, w.. some people used to (falsely) blame eBaumsworld for every Anon Op.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Find the person responsible for this, put a 1911 to his/her head and pull the trigger. Make it a point that you can't steal innocent people's information. This is nothing more than unarmed bank robbery.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Find the person responsible for this, put a 1911 to his/her head and pull the trigger. Make it a point that you can't steal innocent people's information. This is nothing more than unarmed bank robbery.[/citation]

So lets kill people for fraud?

Grow up.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]So lets kill people for fraud?Grow up.[/citation]

This isn't only "fraud" as you so put. This is millions of counts of theft on a world wide scale that could cost billions of dollars.

A point needs to be made to the criminal world that this type of behavior isn't tolerable in society.

We need to get Seal Team 6 ready for another mission.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]seboj[/nom]If the theft was an actual AnonOp, they would own up to it publicly. They don't hide their exploits.More likely that someone used Anon's DDOS attack to help with their own theft, and left the file as a false lead.[/citation]

LOL so you're saying they would tell everyone they just stole info from 77 million PSN accounts and possibly cc. if they did that they would have the FBI go after them more then they are now.. stop and think before you type kid

G

Personal data like your name, address, phone number, etc. is already publicly available anyway, I don't really see why everyone is so upset, as long as the fact that credit card info was encrypted (and passwords, even the simplest password system sends them through a one-way hash function) is true we haven't lost anything anyway.

There really isn't any personal information that isn't already publicly available, besides SSNs (which PSN doesn't even ask you for), and which don't really do a hacker much good unless they want to create new bank accounts or get a million drivers liscenses. I suppose linking one's real name to a screen name isn't public already, but that can't be all people are bothered by. I just don't get it. Sure, it's more convienient for a hacker to get all this in one place, but automating a google search on a bunch of first/last name combinations doesn't get them any less info.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]This isn't only "fraud" as you so put. This is millions of counts of theft on a world wide scale that could cost billions of dollars.A point needs to be made to the criminal world that this type of behavior isn't tolerable in society.We need to get Seal Team 6 ready for another mission.[/citation]
OK internet tough guy, calm down. It's theft, not mass murder. Just let the FBI catch them (assuming they're even in the country) and treat them as you would any other thief, no need to start chest thumping and accusing everyone you think might have done it.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]It's theft, not mass murder..[/citation]

It's this type of thinking that enables people to partake in criminal behavior. They realize if/when caught, there isn't going to be a harsh penalty for their actions.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]johnners2981[/nom]You sir are a fully certified retard, now get back in your wheelchair and wait until someone straps you back in[/citation]

hemad

Status
Not open for further replies.