Sony: Gamers Get Better Scores in 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
That's cool, but some (if not most of us) cannot drop +$500 on a 3D TV/Monitor and 3D glasses, and a few hundred on a video card with a lot of VRAM (if you don't have one already). And honestly, I think people will game great on a 1080p or so monitor.

G

I thought it was the opposite? Sony just can't sell any 3D TVs I think.

G

Isn't it because the people who buy 3d are the ones who are usually more hardcore?

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
maybe people dont want to spend money on some fad?
that's why i dont own an iPod/ipad/iPhone. pretty much the same thing but with slightly different features...

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
"3D won't make you a better game player... except that it does, only it doesn't." So which is it?

It would be nice if he had some actual data to back up his claim. Though even if he had a study to cite, I wouldn't be surprised if it was like bear95 said: hardcore gamers who work hard for high scores are also more likely to spend the kind of money that is required for 3D.

G

3D is just a lazy gimmick. The real improvement over todays hardware is going to be another huge jump in resolution. 8k4k TVs and Monitors for instance; which Sony should be bringing to market with the PS4 for a truly awesome experience and not a gimmick.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]3D is just a lazy gimmick. The real improvement over todays hardware is going to be another huge jump in resolution. 8k4k TVs and Monitors for instance; which Sony should be bringing to market with the PS4 for a truly awesome experience and not a gimmick.[/citation]
Wont happen for a very long time. I think 4k2k TVs are like 15 grand.

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
This is BS. I own some 3D monitors and the nVidia 3D kit, and have literally used it once. Not only did it give me a headache (honestly), but I was quite a bit worse at games. Modern Warfare 2 for example, actually requires you to focus your eyes when you look through the scope, then refocus them when you look outside of it. It's not as quick as focusing your eyes in real life IMO as well. It's perhaps a bit more realistic, but adds to the time it takes for me to shoot someone in the face. And I have to wear stupid glasses. 3D is trash for now, honestly, although suckers like me just fund their research to make something that one day might be decent haha. -1 to Sony.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]maybe people dont want to spend money on some fad?that's why i dont own an iPod/ipad/iPhone. pretty much the same thing but with slightly different features...[/citation]

an mp3 player isnt a fad... ipod is well known due to it being first, but thats it.
tablet and smartphones... tablets have their place, and smartphones honestly, with win 8 and a laptop mount, could be a decent laptop alternative.

so far you havent mentioned one fad... and with fad, i mean tamagachis, ferbies, and pogs, not something that is sticking around for the better part of the last 5 years. tell me, by your deffinition of a fad, id hdtv going to go away anytime soon, because its better than sd but required a new tv and a special antena/box to receive hd signals.

the reason that 3d isnt adopting quick is because EVERYONE just bought an hdtv. you have to wait 5-7 years for the hdtvs to break, because even though we have a 48 inch 1080i tv, its still good enough to not warrant a new 2000$ tv (who in their right mind downgrades in quality)

this christmass im looking into a playstation branded tv. because i watch movies, and only have an sd for the basement, it could also be a second computer monitor for 3d content...

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]3d ruins your eyes[/citation]
But I like my women in 3D, 2D cardboard just don't do it anymore.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jasonw223[/nom]This is BS. I own some 3D monitors and the nVidia 3D kit, and have literally used it once. Not only did it give me a headache (honestly), but I was quite a bit worse at games. Modern Warfare 2 for example, actually requires you to focus your eyes when you look through the scope, then refocus them when you look outside of it. It's not as quick as focusing your eyes in real life IMO as well. It's perhaps a bit more realistic, but adds to the time it takes for me to shoot someone in the face. And I have to wear stupid glasses. 3D is trash for now, honestly, although suckers like me just fund their research to make something that one day might be decent haha. -1 to Sony.[/citation]

I'm going to assume that you didn't use a 120hz monitor when trying it. Most people who have headache issues (all that I've read) tell me they were using it on a 60hz monitor. I imagine it would also be the same issue with low FPS by trying to use too high of settings for your system to handle it in 3D.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I'm going to assume that you didn't use a 120hz monitor when trying it. Most people who have headache issues (all that I've read) tell me they were using it on a 60hz monitor. I imagine it would also be the same issue with low FPS by trying to use too high of settings for your system to handle it in 3D.[/citation]

Odd, I thought that 120hz was a requirement for 3D in the first place. I'm not entirely sure about that so I'm totally open to being educated.

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]-snip-[/citation]

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 3D setup, and you're right, I can't afford it. An iPhone on the other hand, I could afford... But simply don't want to. I don't like Apple's business model, PR model, and I prefer open software development. The iPhone DID have some major issues, though I believe most of those have been ironed out now. But that doesn't keep me from thinking it's a stupid phone just because of the ridiculous profit margin and the closed environment. And sure, you can jailbreak, but I think (again) it's stupid that you should have to do that.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]99% of you cant afford 3D or never used said gear and go by what others negative comments on here. That being said I think its cool for an occasional movie at the theatre or a game every now and then. But for sitting at home watching a football game or 2 hour movie I dont like the glasses as most. I have nice big LED thin tvs throughout the house and a gaming latpop and gaming desktop at 2560 x 1600 and 1080p on the lap which is 3D ready. Its all in what you can afford and want. If you dont like 3D dont buy it. Oh and one more thing the Iphone isnt a fad, its a actual popular device thats been the top phone since 2007. Just because you cant afford one or seen a few geeks with one dont hate, just move along to the next story. Cause those of us that think and can afford this stuff and have Iphones dont want to hear it from the poor masses. Get educated.[/citation]
You assume that something we do not find appealing is hate. It's not. You're a hypocrite from the comments I've seen from you (MW3 articles, as well as consoles, so I wouldn't be talking). To some us, 3D is pointless. Why? Because we've adjusted to the good old "2D" monitor or TV. And yes, it's not in our budget, and that makes it a good reason to have negativity towards it. It's perfectly normal for human beings. I can afford both a 3D TV and an iPhone. Why don't I? Well, like I said, 3D seems pointless to me and the iPhone is just another smartphone. You make it sound like there's only one point of view toward this certain thing. Well bud, this is reality. People will hate. What are you going to do about it? Flame? Come on dude, be serious. Talk a walk outside or go make yourself a sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.