Sony: Hackers Exploited Known Vulnerability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]servarus[/nom]Patched or not patched, when hackers wants to do it, they will. it's just the matter of how easy and how fast they can do it. So can't really blame it too much on Sony. Not that they are right too.[/citation]

There are good ways to keep information darn near impossible to access, especially when it isn't needed to display to the users like card numbers. By the look of this it seems Sony put it all in one hacker friendly juicy database (encrypted or not - its just lazy and f*kling stupid).

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
he attack actually exploited a “known vulnerability” in the web application server platform used in PSN. According to the Reg, Hasejima admitted that though it was generally known, Sony management were not aware of it.
Fail. Big time.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Wait wait wait wait.

They knew about this for years in advance and did nothing? And their excuse is that the managment wasn't informed?

Welcome to Lawsuitville. Population : Sony.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I wonder if this was the case of technicians on the lower levels knowing about a hole, but management refusing to acknowledge it and order a repair. As we all know this happens a lot in corporatinos and governments.[/citation]

I agree with this 100%. Working for several companies I have seen this happen all too often. The problem is that the people in charge who give the permissions to spend the time and money to fix these problems are assclowns with a business degree who have no damn clue about tech, they just care about crunching numbers (which serves its own purpose of course). They need to learn to leave the day to day, and technical side of things to the techs and engineers, and put one of them in charge, not some BA in finance. Otherwise crap like this happens, and then they deny that any of the uppers had any knowledge when the reality is they were probably told about it and ignored it or decided they would handle it case by case.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Why? The only thing compromised was your PS3 account, how do you think all your other online accounts were affected?[/citation]

because he is one of thosecomputer dummies who uses the same password for everything

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
"because he is one of thosecomputer dummies who uses the same password for everything"

Good point! Had the same problem with my girlfriend until I explained it to her.

terrowrist

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
"Sony Releases New Stupid Piece Of S*** That Doesn't F**** Work"

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt,14309/

That sums it up.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Shoot, it just dawned on me that I re-upped my Everquest account for a few months last year, just to see what the new expansions were like. Man, and here I thought I was Sony-free. Luckily, I used ShopSafe, so even if hackers got my credit card info, it won't do them any good (the number was only valid to be used by one merchant, and had a very strict monetary and time limit). They might have my billing address, but I don't get mail sent to my house anyway.

Still, if my information WAS compromised, I'll expect full-compensation, maybe a new trash bin for any junk mail I receive.

The more Sony reveals, the bigger of a joke this whole thing is. A "Known Exploit?" You let hackers steal 10-million+ credit cards because you refused to fix a known epxloit?! That is definite grounds for lawsuit there.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]I agree with this 100%. Working for several companies I have seen this happen all too often. The problem is that the people in charge who give the permissions to spend the time and money to fix these problems are assclowns with a business degree who have no damn clue about tech, they just care about crunching numbers (which serves its own purpose of course). They need to learn to leave the day to day, and technical side of things to the techs and engineers, and put one of them in charge, not some BA in finance. Otherwise crap like this happens, and then they deny that any of the uppers had any knowledge when the reality is they were probably told about it and ignored it or decided they would handle it case by case.[/citation]
Couldn't have said it better myself.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I am a microsft fan but i was looking at buying a PSP NG but if PSN can be hack what about their online database of Buyers?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]because he is one of thosecomputer dummies who uses the same password for everything[/citation]
So you're saying you a a different password for every website, mail, and other services?
I know that ideally it would be the best choice, but realistically isn't. Most people wouldn't be able to remember every single password and would resort to saving a file with all the passwords and that could even be worse.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
It's not that we are not angry with the hackers, but we are more angry with S because they started this whole thing, and if you bother them, then expect something back and as we said, if they knew about this, why did they not shut the network down earlier to prevent this? now who knows who has our 'life'

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So you're saying you a a different password for every website, mail, and other services?I know that ideally it would be the best choice, but realistically isn't. Most people wouldn't be able to remember every single password and would resort to saving a file with all the passwords and that could even be worse.[/citation]

KeePass

G

Status
Not open for further replies.