Sony Launches More Advanced Li-ion Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Actually, I think the biggest impact this will have is on electric cars, after all the biggest show stopper for current line of electric automobiles is ridiculously high recharge time (~16 hours for full recharge). But having a electric car that can recharge in 30 mins is not that bad.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Right, and I hope you plan on hooking that electric car into a 470kv power substation to charge it all the way in 30 minutes, because that 15 AMP wall socket and even the Tesla 480v speed charger arent going to be enough to feed a demon like that in 30 minutes.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I doubt they can be used in car's usually fast charging batteries produce a ton of heat, although what do i know about making cars or batteries :)

G

Yeah, that makes sense, use them in power tools first instead of laptops(less liability if they catch on fire)....

I use my laptop everyday, I use my cordless drill once every 6 months...

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
One of the maJor shortcomings with quick charging schemes so far is that they come with permanent decrease in battery capacity over time. If this is such a technology the shows very little or no degradation in battery life span and performance this will have a maJor impact on battery technology. Its too bad though that the quantity of lithium in the world couldn't replace all of our gas powered cars. NiZn shows a lot of promise in use in electrics and it was even used in the 1900's for powering cars. Nickel and zinc are non toxic and readily available in the world. Its too bad companies don't like developing a product to sell that they can't patent.

G

"stable performance, even at high temperatures"

Able to power your electronics AND roast them to medium-rare at the same time!

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
My VAIO battery pretty much died after 4 months of use. And I wasn't even close to 100 charges/discharges.

So with this new technology, can we expect around 2100 charges/discharges? ;P

PS.
"Sadly, we won't be seeing this battery technology yet in out laptops and cell phones just yet."
Still hungover? ;)

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
nanotitanate batteries please, 80% charge in 12 minutes and a higher mah than these, though at a cost of a tiny bit of voltage. price to pay, not so high.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]One of the maJor shortcomings with quick charging schemes so far is that they come with permanent decrease in battery capacity over time. If this is such a technology the shows very little or no degradation in battery life span and performance this will have a maJor impact on battery technology. [/citation]

Heat is what kills batteries, and as stated in the description provided by Sony, the material has proven to be stable even in high temperatures. Most of the common rechargeable batteries start to stop charging once it heats up, also the heat builds up damage to the batteries which decreases its battery life.

G

I'm hoping that Sony and other companies that build digital cameras will stop making proprietary batteries and just put this new technology in standard AA batteries.

Whats the capacity of current lithium ion batteries. As 1800 Watts per kilogram sounds like quite a bit. Aren't current extended battery packs about 1/2 lb and under a 100 watts. So this would be like 400 watts for the same weight battery.

If it is indeed 4 times the charge for the weight I would welcome this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS