Sony Marine System Wiring

Striper2112

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Great Posts Everyone--thank you! I just bought a Sony cdx-M501P radio/cd player/ipod hookup for my boat. Of course, the leads are all only about six inches. Can someone please tell me what gauge wire to use for the speakers and what gauge to use for the 2 power leads and ground. Sony just says to contact a certified technician!

ddawson24

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Having worked in 12V before I can tell you the answer Sony gave you is correct. Every application is different. Anyone that randomly gives you sizes for wire without knowing what it is going to and the distance it needs to be ran can't give you a correct answer. Ohms law is your best friend. Out of curiosity, what in the world made you go with Sony equipment?

Striper2112

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Actually, I found the correct speaker wire through a Sony rep. I went with sony becasue I got a hell of a deal--unit and 4 speakers for $120.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
ddawson24 is right, it's probobly safe to say that your Sony player have 45W - 65W per channel and if your speaker is at 4 ohms then you'll be looking at 4 amps per channel.

Rules of thumb: the wires should be 12% to 13% larger than the normal wire for marine application and should be UL approved marine grade wire, wire that is approved for the corrosive marine environment and charter boat service. this test insure that standards for moisture and oil resistance, cold bend, flammability and heat shock is meet or exceed.

Since Sony suggested the wire then you should be ok.

You can find the reading materials through marine wirrings or boat cables.

Check here: http://www.awcwire.com/FAQ-Marine-Cable.aspx

TRENDING THREADS