Sony Not Reimbursing Retailers over "Other OS"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Disapointing, not enough to make me switch to a 360 but it is a big step back from what was offered. It is annoying for these big companys to offer a online versatile gameing system but when people take advantage of the versatility to modify for gaming or networking customization they send out updates to disable your console. To bad there is not an alternative gaming area where we can go online with custom platforms not limited by Sony or Nintendo

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Hmmm....Sony should and must at least give some form of compensation to those, who are using their PS3 both as game console and linux system.
Basically, people loose about 50% of what their PS3 capable of, which they have paid for.
It actually doesn't have to be in the form of cash, I would accept also free games, free PS3 accesories or vouchers.

If I am not mistaken, I could still remember Sony boasting their PS3 to be Linux compatible, and now Sony takes it away.
This is like cheating the customer by false commercials.
Being one of the biggest company in the entertainment business, This is not something you want to to do. You should keep customers satisfaction above everything. Sony is able to reach the top becaused of the customer, if no one buys Sony products...where would Sony be right now?

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
bait and switch, yes it made me mad, but it isn't a big thing really. Most people here probably don't have a phat ps3 so they can't really talk. But I am waiting on a class-action lawsuit to collect something.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
19/04/10, just returned my PS3 to GAME for a full refund as per the sale of goods act (replacement was not an option for obvious reasons) Guess ill have to put the games on eBay or something now as I bought them seperatly

MrF430

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]19/04/10, just returned my PS3 to GAME for a full refund as per the sale of goods act (replacement was not an option for obvious reasons) Guess ill have to put the games on eBay or something now as I bought them seperatly[/citation]

How long ago did you buy the PS3? Are you in the US? Ive ran Linux on my PS3 from the date I bought it (a few years back) and now Im screwed.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
IT DOES. SOMETHINGS.

This is stupid; SONY stated it was a computer, now they take away the computing capability, or force people to choose between owning a simple computer or playing new games.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
That "Other OS" feature was a major reason why so many companies were able to use the box easily for supercomputing. Just unpack it, install your Linux, and start running your highly parallel computations on the Cell processor. People that don't do that are just using it as a regular computer, but that's not the reason for its existence. This is why it's not a worthless feature.

I think they did it to enable people to showcase and take advantage of the Cell processor for things other than gaming. And they did.

avenger386

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
simply put, this screws over a small minority of users (people who actually were using "Other OS" or were intending to use it) and they have a genuine right to complain and/or receive compensation... but for the VAST majority it's a non-issue. I'd be surprised if more than 1 out of a 1000 users actually used the feature.

except... since we are who we are, there is no way to compensate the right people, even if someone
1) never knew about the "other OS" feature
2) wouldn't have used it even if he did
3) would've paid just as much or even more for a PS3 know the feature would be removed.

This person would still cry foul and demand money if he found out at least one other person did so successfully. If people were more understanding, then Sony/retailers could at least compensate the right people and not have to worry about having to refund money to EVERY PS3 owner... Yeah so when it comes down to it, it's greed's fault. (personally i don't much care, I installed it, used it for less than 3 hours (mostly to configure the options) and never booted back into it)

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
To darraghcoy:
Honestly. Stop embarrassing yourself. All you're doing is TRYING to discredit and upset. All you have become on this discussion is an internet bully, making yourself feel better by putting other people down. Try giving false stats? Really, I bet someone's gonna play games, and you're not gonna like it. Here's some facts. Reported on Jan 1, as of Dec 31 2009, sales of the PS3 was at 33.5 million. Of that, a general estimate of 20 million gen 1 to gen 3 ps3's were sold, everyone generally knows them as fat ps3's. All of those fat ps3's were sold with the other os functionality. A reported 86% of people that owned a fat ps3 knew of the other os feature, and 32% of people that owned one USED the other os feature. That's 640 thousand people that use the other os feature. That's not an insignificant number. Esspecially since that was just out of the fat systems. Many users were just waiting for the slim to come out, no one has seriously expected that the slim system would be released without the other os feature. Learn your facts, do your research, and then no one can discredit you the same as I have.

Note: Yes, I've done the math. I'm sure you will to, but it includes the slims with the 33.5 million and we're not talking about the slims since they never had the feature. So just because 640000 is 1.9% of 33.5 million doesn't mean you're going to get anywhere with your argument.

G

citation][nom]dataDINK[/nom]To darraghcoy:Honestly. Stop embarrassing yourself. All you're doing is TRYING to discredit and upset.[/citation]

Ah here, this is absolute nonsense of the highest order... You're reading WAAAAY too much into things. If you want to get up on your high horse however (like some have done here) I'll entertain you briefly- just this once...

It's this simple: Previously I was just stating my own (read: personal) opinion, and judging by the amount of negative ratings I have received- not a popular one on Tom's. I don't mind (or indeed care) if you or others don't agree, but don't expect me to keep my mouth shut just because the mob does not agree. I'm not 'trying' to do anything else. I'm a busy man, I don't have time to spend trolling the internet all day- I have a job. Read what you want into it, but that's what it is.

[citation][nom]dataDINK[/nom]All you have become on this discussion is an internet bully, making yourself feel better by putting other people down.[/citation]

I can't actually believe you're saying this. You are kidding right? Somebody's VERY touchy today... Are you that insecure that you can't handle somebody with a different point of view to yours? Give me a break..

If anything I'd argue that the bullying (look just for arguments sake- I don't care really) has been done to me. It's like this, I make a simple statement saying how this change does not matter a damm to the average PS3 user (please provide a conclusive argument otherwise?) and all of a sudden I get a barage of hate from the Linux brigade- some of which is at best rude and at worst outright offensive. I do of course understand that this DOES affect SOME users (some of which have commented here) - I never said that it didn't. My comment refers to the general mass of PS3 consumers; please re-read if you do not understand.

I use Unix/Linux on a daily basis also, so please do not try and put me that box of being an 'ignorant' MS fanboy who hasn't used anything outside of Windows. Again, I reiterate: I am just stating my opinion. I am allowed to do that aren't I? Or did you suddenly disallow that also?

[citation][nom]dataDINK[/nom]Try giving false stats? Really, I bet someone's gonna play games, and you're not gonna like it. [/citation]

I have absolutely no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean. I thought the entire point of the PS3 was that it played games? Or did I miss something?

[citation][nom]dataDINK[/nom]Here's some facts. Reported on Jan 1, as of Dec 31 2009, sales of the PS3 was at 33.5 million. Of that, a general estimate of 20 million gen 1 to gen 3 ps3's were sold, everyone generally knows them as fat ps3's. All of those fat ps3's were sold with the other os functionality. A reported 86% of people that owned a fat ps3 knew of the other os feature, and 32% of people that owned one USED the other os feature. That's 640 thousand people that use the other os feature. That's not an insignificant number. Esspecially since that was just out of the fat systems. Many users were just waiting for the slim to come out, no one has seriously expected that the slim system would be released without the other os feature. Learn your facts, do your research, and then no one can discredit you the same as I have.Note: Yes, I've done the math. I'm sure you will to, but it includes the slims with the 33.5 million and we're not talking about the slims since they never had the feature. So just because 640000 is 1.9% of 33.5 million doesn't mean you're going to get anywhere with your argument.[/citation]

Blah blah blah blah blah... Yet at the end I see you come around to my magic figure of around ~99% of PS3 users not being affected by this (okay 98.1%- but not too far off right?). So you're basically saying that I was correct with my previous comment.

If so what was the point of this rant?

Look I don't have time for this crap.
End of discussion.

dataDINK

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Blah blah blah blah blah... Yet at the end I see you come around to my magic figure of around ~99% of PS3 users not being affected by this (okay 98.1%- but not too far off right?). So you're basically saying that I was correct with my previous comment.

READ IT! It doesn't matter what the other 13 million ps3's are because those are all fucking slims. You can't include these 13 million for the plain and simple fact that they didn't EVER have the feature. We're talking souly about the fat systems. That what the whole basis of the article, Sony taking the availability from the fat system.

I can understand being a busy man as I am in the military, but if you were such a busy man you wouldn't have posted as many times as you already have on this article.

jnoll

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Please contact me, Jerome Noll, at (914) 517-5000, extension 221, to join the class action suit against Sony.

G

These matters are about a BREACH OF CONTRACT. If I buy the product and description I enter into a contract with the person I buy it from (in British Law) If subsequently through an upgrade I lose part of what i have bought (for example I-DVD) this is A BREACH OF CONTRACT...The very least the companies should do is ISSUE A CLEAR WARNING in the upgrade message to the effect that if you upgrade you MAY LOSE OUT.....

Status
Not open for further replies.