Sony Patent Will Stop Game to Play Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Sony Patent Will Stop Gamers from Playing Playstation.

You cannot, and i mean CAN NOT expect to interrupt someone in the middle of gameplay with an ad and think they'll enjoy it. Good job ruining the immersion you're trying to sell. Have any of these people ever even played a video game before?

How I long for the old days when video games weren't just one big money grab.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
This means nobody else can do this (without licensing the patent).

Since we should all be boycotting Sony anyway (rootkits, advertising as "runs linux", removing ability to run linux, prosecuting guy who restored ability to run linux, being a major part of RIAA, and many more anti-consumer things), is this win-win? :)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I don't have a problem with entertainment media putting in, say, a Coke instead of a generic "cola" can when there is supposed to be a soft drink in the picture. As has been said, it can even add to the realism.

HOWEVER, interrupting my game with a commercial would infuriate me (I don't even care if it's an ad shown at a loading screen). Do it once, and I'll never, ever buy your games again, or any other of your products either.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
They used to have in game ads in a game called 'Acrophobia' in 1997 LOL yes that long ago there were ads for alien 3 starring Signourney Weaver or whatever. I'll never forget how outrageous that was. I think this game is now defunct! ^_^

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i wouldn't mind this at all if you had an option to buy a game for 60 bucks or play the same game for free with commerical breaks for ads. That would especially work out well with sports games, maybe kind of even cool actually to have tv time outs for comemrcials like in real life.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Isn't it the ads that got me to buy the game in the first place? so are they selling me a product or selling me ads through an ad?

crap... you know when you put two mirrors facing each other?...

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Forget whatever interruption this might cause, what about the insane idea that you can PATENT this idea?!?!?! Stopping a game and playing an ad is patentable?

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
This is hilarious!! I can imagine it now, just before a big boss fight, instead of a cool cutscene you get: This boss is brought to you by.......... Wal-mart!!! hahaha

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]I don't have a problem with entertainment media putting in, say, a Coke instead of a generic "cola" can when there is supposed to be a soft drink in the picture.[/citation]

I sure i speak for 99% of people when I say I love that makes the game feel more real. I cant remember what game it was (seems it was need for speed on pc) but the track boards updated every so often with new advertisements. I personally loved it made the game feel more real to me. Obvious a tracks going to update its advertising every so often. In fact I don't find it obtrusive at all when advertising is done in that way if anything I find it tasteful.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
if sony drops prices of new games by 20-30$ in light of in game advertising, and allows us to buy either a limited time without ads (think 2-5$ for a week), or a full on no adds (an extra 30$) i would have no problem.

i can take an ad if the over all game is cheaper.

however, not middle of action game stopping ad, id say an ad that is there to cover a loading screen would be FAR better than just a load screen for 30 seconds.

and when you go to in game advertisements, like a billboard, a poster, and other crap like that, i also find it VERY acceptable, as it adds realism, and is generally better than a look alike but not really it kind of thing.

what we need to do is make a law that would state the following, you can not sue if anything makes your product look bad, or shows it in a negative light.

there was a movie a long time ago i believe sponsored by pepsi... so all the good guys drank pepsi, and all the commies drank coke. you will never see that today...

back on topic though...

if the price of a game gets reduced substantially i cant take an add
if the add is covering a load screen im also ok with it
if a game costs me 60$ and a patch comes later that adds ads to the game, im likely to go on a murderous rampage.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]I sure i speak for 99% of people when I say I love that makes the game feel more real. I cant remember what game it was (seems it was need for speed on pc) but the track boards updated every so often with new advertisements. I personally loved it made the game feel more real to me. Obvious a tracks going to update its advertising every so often. In fact I don't find it obtrusive at all when advertising is done in that way if anything I find it tasteful.[/citation]

that was i believe either a burnout game, or a need for speed, it could have been a raceing sim game, but here lies the problem, those billboards stuck out like a sore thumb... and when they stopped the ads, they became white, cant miss it at all... and that is another problem.

i dont think any of us would care at all if lets say coke sponsored a dlc, so the dlc comes out cheaper by lets say half price. but if the game has a realism filter, the track has a realism filter, and every coke ad is pristine and uneffected by the filter, there is where we will have a major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS