Sony Patent Will Stop Game to Play Advertisement

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The best thing Sony can do with this patent is to own it for the sole purpose of preventing other people from doing it in their games
That is the ONLY positive scenario I can see

camoxide

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Don't know why people are moaning about Sony.

If anything they should be cheering Sony for patenting this and stopping anyone from doing this.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'm sure they wouldn't use this ad format in a storebought game. This would probably be for free downloadable games. That would be the only thing that made sense. Even die hard Sony fans wouldn't put with ads in pay games.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
If Sony stops my car racing online, while I am in the zone, you know, on a dangerous track like the Nurburging Nordschleife, and my lap pauses for some advertisement, I will pack my gaming gear, and toss it through Sony HQ office window from a Helicopter.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Honestly, I still think the best way to do in-game advertising is to put those real life stuff in game, like a billboard or a tool used by the characters.Stopping the game and forcing someone to watch the ad like that?might as well make the game F2P[/citation]

just like in alan wake.

G

I'm a fair dude, but this is ridiculous. Now, I don't care if they stop second-hand games from being used on the system but only if the gamer gets treated a little more fairly. I wouldn't care if they stopped second-hand games as long as the value of the game decreased in time, faster than what it is now. 6 months after release the game should drop in value by 25%, after a year it should be reduced to 50%. That, in my eyes, is a fair trade-off for blocking second-hand games. can't stand seeing a game that's 5 years old and has a price-tag of $30+. But ads in-game while I play is ridiculous in any way, shape, or form if I paid top dollar for it.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
This kind of practice make me wanna puke...
And make me not wanna buy their product of course.

Luckily, some hacker will find a way to bypass this.

You wanna make more money : here's an idea
(do what regular people do: cut in the fat and luxury)
You just need to cut bonuses to the useless CEO that get those idea out. You will easily get millions of dollars in profit in doing so!!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I don't wait to be in a life or death situation my heart beating racing as I struggle to survive in the game and just before getting certain victory a advertisement for Tide pops up and tells me how it will make my cloths clean, remove stains, and make them smell good. Then when the game comes back up die because it interrupted my attack.

Congratulations Sony, you found a way to be so greedy that even your most hardcore fan-boys won't support this and will doom you if you dare try it.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
If this is intended to be used in anything other than trial software or freeware they have lost their damn minds. No way the gaming community will tolerate this on games they've already paid entirely too much for. IMO, just another thing that will push more everyday users to the path of piracy. There are already folks in my circle of friends who have crack copies of games installed in which they own legit copies just so they can avoid some of the more invasive types of DRM. Either that or use the game they paid for on more than one PC in their home god-forbid the PC the license is tied to is being used by somebody else.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]Why does no one realize this is a good thing? Now no one but Sony can do this for like... 20 (?) years.[/citation]
Lol

iamanon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Well they could always license this patent to other companies.
By the time they implement this it might be in 3d! Those glasses might obstruct the eye sensor so you don't have to watch.
Maybe they'll use this idea with PSN! It wont be free, just paid for with your time.
Well on a more serious note.
Sony wouldn't patent this so other companies couldn't use it. It made you all so happy, I am sure they'd love the same reaction to the competition. They took it to make money somewhere. Be it in licensing or in use.

But it did give me a great idea. A real life "live action" commercial in front of some Sony offices!
Someone could hold a sign in front of the office telling them a commercial is coming.
Then someone takes their PS3 (or system of relevance) and smashes it up real nice, putting it into a box that says free.
A sign that says, "Embedded Marketing, discretely get your point across!"
Followed with a sign saying you are about to return to work.

If they watched it all, you (probably) got your point across. Gave them the idea for new forms of marketing. (Commercials at work! Now your employees can spend their breaks thinking of "X" product!) Being the most interesting thing they'll see all day, word of mouth will be your tool. And to top it off, when they go back to work, it was after you told them to.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Cool. Make the game free, and we might have a deal. Oh wait, you still wanna charge $60? Yeah, fuck off.[/citation]
How much do you pay for your cable tv every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS