Sony: PlayStation 3 Sales Better Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosshares

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I would buy the PS3, i would buy it. But every time I go to Wal-Mart or GameStop and look at the PS3 section I am reminded that they don't even have two shelves of PS3 games.

G

more PS3 sales are getting Sony out of the RED???

I though Sony is loosing money on each console sold since they cost more to produce.... so how can it be? They should get deeper in the red the more they sell.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
So, they were expecting a sales screw-up? I don't think so. They say this to get their shares holding up in the wave of financial crisis.

It's just like AMD said a few days ago that they were ahead of schedule of delivering Shanghai and Steve Balmer said that market forecast is optimistic.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]anonymous1111111[/nom]more PS3 sales are getting Sony out of the RED???I though Sony is loosing money on each console sold since they cost more to produce.... so how can it be? They should get deeper in the red the more they sell.[/citation]
Don't believe they lose money off of the consoles.
They don't.They might lose profit over regular retail profits if the parts were sold on newegg.com or something(blu-ray especially) but it really doesn't cost as much as people think it does.I'd say it would cost ~120-200 USD to make a PS3.

amonymous

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
If I ever bought a console it would have to be the PS3. Free online service and it plays Blu-Ray for those of us with High Def TVs.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jaragon13[/nom][/citation]
Don't think that's the case. At launch, both PS3, Xbox 360, and practically every console made in the last few decades except the Wii is sold at a loss. This may change as time goes on and components become cheaper, but remember that prices of consoles go down over time, too.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
You can get a PS3 system from just anywhere including Bust Buy so no idea as to why you can't buy the console.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
"I would buy the PS3, i would buy it. But every time I go to Wal-Mart or GameStop and look at the PS3 section I am reminded that they don't even have two shelves of PS3 games."

True, I am probably going to buy a PS3 next month but not for games (well maybe one or two of them) but because of the whole HD video thing. You can play H.264 video on the PS3. The prices of other players are so close its almost a non choice :(

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
[citation][nom]jaragon13[/nom][/citation]
They don't.They might lose profit over regular retail profits if the parts were sold on newegg.com or something(blu-ray especially) but it really doesn't cost as much as people think it does.I'd say it would cost ~120-200 USD to make a PS3.[/quote]
Actually, yes, they do lose money of the sales of consoles and it costs significantly more then 120-200 $ to produce a single unit. When calculating the cost of a good or unit you need to calculate various things like the R&D required to create the unit and so on so forth, you cannot just look at the cost of raw materials and production. Currently, Sony, Microsoft and Ninendo all loss money on every console sale, the profit is in the game sales. This scenario is similar to printers, HP, Cannon, Lexmark and so on all lose money on every printer sold, they make the loss back with the sale of ink.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.