Sony PS Vita Can Be Used as PS3 Controller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruno h

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Exactly my thought. They saw the Wii U controller has a screen so Sony put a software update to make the Vita a PS3 controller. Next is for a Windows phone to be an Xbox controller[/citation]

Actually, Microsoft demoed that functionality earlier this year months ahead of any WiiU announcements. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mktWd0-WGs

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I've always been a supporter of cloud gaming but would always prefer my own personal cloud. One central computer at home doing all the work and all you need is a netbook to game. If only ISP's would keep up.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Something I love about the M$ and Sony fan-boys is they always without fail mock Nintendo'sideas. As a example the Wii for having motion controls oh how they insulted it.Then both M$ and Sony make their own version of motion controls which gets praised by the fan-boys. Or how about the whining about the DS (done by fan-boys that of course wouldn't buy one anyways) about having the touch screen and games that require it. And look Vita has a touch screen, but your going to run out and buy it day one.Don't mistake me for a Nintendo fan-boy either. I think the 3DS is a massive fail and I would never buy a Wii. But fan-boys no matter the side are just a bunch of hypocrites who lack logic and will insult anything that doesn't have one brand name and praise anything that comes out that does.Companies copy the success of others its a fact of life. This is why we have more than one automobile company, more than one ISP, and more than one gaming platform. If you cannot accept that than reality is not for you.Now in this case I do not believe Sony copied the idea of the Wii U. The Wii U's announcement and released details came to late for it to be the case. The Vita was no doubt already almost if not completely fully decided on its specs and features by then as well.These things take R&D time there is no way they threw this in right after seeing the Wii U.However this does not mean they didn't copy Nintendo's idea of hooking a portable to a console. As was possible with the GBA and Gamecube.[/citation]

Sony had an adapter for their portable in the late 90's that allowed you to hook up a PSX.

aje21

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
So nobody picked up on the title saying "can be" and the article saying "could be"? My reading was that you could write a game which knew how to use the Vita as a controller, not that it would just work with existing games.

grain

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Would work well for head to head football games, where you choose your plays on the Vita instead of the main screen where all can see. Just like the Dreamcast did 10+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.