Sony: PS4 Development Already Underway

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why will you want to limit yourself with console . I cant understand that. Its a machine created for kids. When I look how grown people look with those controllers its silly. Second thing fps shooting on consoles - ridiculous unless its auto aim. Limitations on what can you do with your machine, censoring and similar thing hate that.What about the communication with people. Can I play a mmorg ant type something instead of speaking in mic And the last thing modding of the games - there are no such a things for consoles.
And its nonsense that you need to upgrade your PC each year to play games on high settings. Argument about cost of consoles. Ok those are cheaper , but does it mean its better. Look at the power usage of the console and high end PC. Its 400-500W and more for PC do you think that so called next gen console will be designed to draw that much power. And if it doesn't draw that much power it means it cant beat PC in terms of performance.Unless it is more efficient. But that is unrealistic because same manufacturers design gpu's for PC and console.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I love how people say the PS3 was outdated when it first came out and compare the specs to that of a gaming pc. Do you not realize that the PS3 doesn't have to run a bloated OS to run games, and it doesn't have to run like 40 services in the background to function like it should. The PS3 does not need to have the same specs as a PC, thats also why the PS3 does not have like 4GB ram, it doesn't need it.

The PS3 is not a PC its a gaming console, stop comparing pc specs to PS3 specs. Its not the same.

G

Have you seen how much CPU is used from those 40 services, 3procent ? . So basically its nonsense. And if you want high texture graphics you need a lot of ram. Ram is very tightly correlated to the gaming resolution. If you want photo realistic rendering at high resolutions that is a must.
PS3 or any other console is the same PC only more limited. It has all the components of the PC and it could ran OS (Linux was once in PS3). So you can compare PC and PS3.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
yea and have you ever seen how much ram those services and processes are using......right now the only program I have running is firefox and im sitting at 1.51GB of ram in use and I do not have any tabs or other programs running.

G

OK you have a point. In PC you need 1.51Gb additional ram if you have graphics on and all services on. But you must think of one thing. In most of the gaming PC's at the moment. There is additional RAM in GPU, that is faster then ram used for basic tasks (Like word , firefox and similar). So in console yes you don't need a lot of slow ram DDR2 or DDR3. You need a lot off fast ram used in GPU. And amount of ram in modern GPU's is over 2GB now. So lets say you want to design a modern uber console that could be used for lets say 4-5 years and wound t limit game creator. Technologies move forward very fast. So the next gaming console needs to have lets say at least 2Gb of "fast" RAM plus lets say from 2-4Gb of slow ram that is needed for other not 3D rendering tasks. So the diference for the console and PC would be minus amount of slow ram needed for the OS to work. But really its a risky move . The next gen wont be updated for lets say another 5-6 years. A lot of things can change in that time and it would be very sad to find out oh its not enough ram.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
If they are planning on using Larrabee GPGPU and if they are going to revealing PlayStation 4 next month at E3 2011, then Intel should also reveal Larrabee sometime soon, if not next month.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Here's the way I see it...

Sony first needs to stop stretching the life cycle ten years! 7 at MOST! PS2 needs to DIE!!!

You CAN'T make upgradeable consoles... They are locked into the specs like that to make dev. easy and affordable.

Consoles will NEVER outperform a PC so stop complaining how they hold PC's back... IT WILL ALWAYS BE THIS WAY!!!!! If you want to game on PC(like me) do it and shut up... Lol!

Yes, the 360 uses a 7 series GPU, but aside from DX10 it performs about the same as 200 series! Two words... SPECIALIZED HARDWARE!!!!!

The PS3 also has specialized hardware that keeps it somewhat current... problem is no one wants to bother to apply it to games. IMO putting the cell in there is like running a SandyBridge with an 8 series GPU....with only 256MB RAM!!!! WHY?!!? Compute power without the ability to produce QUALITY output..... OMG the PS3 has AUTISM!!!!!

Like stated above the consoles need a refresh every six to seven years. Nintendo and MSFT do this! They pump out next gen and the older system fades. If ANYTHING Sony is holding the game market back with this ten year CRAP!

Lastly, I'm sure whatever the specs are on the new consoles, they will be able to pump out close if not the same as current PC HW. The 360 was right on par when it debuted back in 05/06! Nintendo will always be behind......but that won't seem to matter for some....reason....

No matter what happens though, there will always be places like this on the internet for people to complain. CAN'T PLEASE 'EM ALL RIGHT?!?!?!

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
People like PC's. People like consoles. Why keep arguing?
PC's are built to be powerful, and consoles are built to be Convenient.
I play PC, and I could argue for hours about why it's better, but whats the point?
Most console gamers are casual gamers and really don't "Care" about the graphics.

What can I say we are different Breeds..

With that said, I want to say that there is nothing a console can do that a pc can't do better.
IMO the only reason to buy a console is if you are just a casual gamer and don't really care about the graphics or advantages having a pc, or you just want to stay on the same network as your friends. Either way, because of how cheap parts are now, I don't think it's a good excuse, at least until we see what the next generation of consoles can do. Even then, I don't think they will be able to beat "PC's" this time around, and if they do, i think it will be even shorter lived. Parts are coming out faster and faster these days. I would bet 6 months after the next gen console is out they will have graphics cards that are twice as fast for the same price.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]So... Is this one going to have a 15.0 GHZ processor and be controlled with your mind?[/citation]
Acording to the Sony addert, it's going to control your mind and leave you catatonic.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Almost EVERYONE here is completely missing the point of Gaming consoles. People who buy PS3s and XBOX 360s DON'T want to go messing around inside of their console upgrading RAM and CPUs. If they wanted to do that THEY WOULD BUY A COMPUTER!!!

Gaming consoles offer a reliable (unless it is the SONY PSN) gaming service to the user while minimizing the hassle to the user. On a gaming console the user does not have to worry about GPU drivers and compression utilities, all they have to do is plug in their console to the TV and play games.

While the PS3 may be old now .... there are a few things still to consider. First off Graphics haven't gotten THAT much better in the last 6 years as a lot would expect. This is because companies like NVidia and AMD are focusing more on GPU compute capabilities (FERMI, CUDA and STREAM) than they are on making more polygons. This is why the Wii 2 is using an ATI 4000 series, NOT a 7000 series. They can get better looking graphics out of modifying the older architecture, rather than dropping in the new architecture.

So .... In conclusion I predict that the PS3 will remain SONY's flagship console until about 2014. When it turns up it will probably include a die shrink AMD 8000 series or Nvidia 700 series while computers are packing AMD 9000 series and NVidia 800 series. This will allow it to produce better graphics for lower price as there isn't wasted space for video conversion modules etc. Once more it will cost a fraction of the price that one would pay for a high end Gaming computer.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I am not just a console fan boy or PS3 fan boy, I happen to have purchased a PS3 like 3 weeks ago. Mostly for games that I cant play on my PC like Mortal Kombat/God of war 3/and EA Games like madden/NHL Since they stopped making them for PC. And im also using my PS3 to store movies and TV shows on, and i did upgrade the drive in it to a 750GB scorpio black.

And yes my PC is far far more powerful than my PS3, but I find the PC is lacking in certain game titles. My graphics cards alone are worth more than my PS3 (dual 5870 sapphire toxic)
I probably will still use my pc more for gaming but those odd titles that do not have a PC port i will buy for the PS3.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
For the 10 years life span I don’t think it will be a viable target for Sony to stick to, and that’s because the next generation games will need extremer graphic cards that doesn’t even exist today.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]GPU wise, Xbox and PS3 are the same, all PS3 has over the microsoft box is Blu-Ray support[/citation]
That is a nice +, I use my PS3 to watch Blue Rays more than I use it for gaming. Call me old fashioned but PC games are just better for FPS games.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]According to the fcc report of the other day, scandinavian countries have lower population densities than most us states (not all), and if I'm not mistaken, we have faster connections as well. I mean I live like 7km from the nearest town (population of less than 1000 people), and I've got a 50Mbit fiber (and the hardware has a gigabit transciever and ethernet port)[/citation]

I'm from Sweden and most of my friends have 100Mb fiber, the reason I haven't got it is because they won't put fiber in my area (dried sea bottom, fiber wouldn't be profitable for the ISP)

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]and free multiplayer,built in-internet browserHDMI 1.4CPU with nearly 3 times the bandwidth.They don't need a new console any time soon. The Playstation line has always given the consumer the best bang for their buck. The ten yr.+ lifespan speaks for itself.[/citation]

All the money wasted on that cell with all that extra bandwidth and yet games lagged behind Xbox 360 for years (multi-platform wise) The Xbox 360 will probably also be around for 10 years with the amount of units its shifted. They really do need a new console, most people have 1080P TVs that they are not taking advantage of.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]IMO the only reason to buy a console is if you are just a casual gamer and don't really care about the graphics or advantages having a pc, or you just want to stay on the same network as your friends. [/citation]

Or if you want to play something that isn't on a PC. Like... anything other than FPS or sports games.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I wish they'd just based the hard ware on x86 and current amd/nvidia graphics cards. That way developers could develop cross platform games quicker,better and at lower cost.

G

Was that guy Hirai talking about his concerns over making the next gen Playstation cloud based?
Cloud computing is supposed to be the next big thing.
Security and performance of the internet, two things that must improve before that can happen.
Produce a modular console and what have you got? A pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.