Sony Puts Brakes on Streaming Over Bandwidth Neutrality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The problem with this is that, if allowed, it would allow Comcast to pretty much set up a tariff for access to all third-party media services. While they may technically be using their own network (which I'm dubious of) this goes completely against the intent of the idea of net neutrality.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Comcast is indeed using their own network to push this video streaming out, they have more localized servers at each "hub" that broadcast their IP traffic out to the local subscribers. Netflix and the like do not have local servers set up on Comcast's network, so the data counts against their monthly access with other ISPs.

Comcast is giving a small freebie with a service I AM ALREADY PAYING FOR. Having Comcast (an ISP) and having Netflix (a streaming service) is NOT an either/or situation. IMO, of course.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
People need a choice so they can simply get rid of Comcast when Comcast is doing something they don't like.

I hope Google's gigabit internet test is successful, and either they or a partner can expand super-high-speed unlimited bandwidth internet access across the country.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Comcast is indeed using their own network to push this video streaming out, they have more localized servers at each "hub" that broadcast their IP traffic out to the local subscribers. Netflix and the like do not have local servers set up on Comcast's network, so the data counts against their monthly access with other ISPs.Comcast is giving a small freebie with a service I AM ALREADY PAYING FOR. Having Comcast (an ISP) and having Netflix (a streaming service) is NOT an either/or situation. IMO, of course.[/citation]

The difference is that Netflix has servers hosted by comcast (along with every other web company in the US) so that traffic never leaves comcast's network either, but the end users are charged for accessing it. Comcast is dipping on both ends, charging netflix for carrier bandwidth usage, and also charging netflix customers for the same usage at a much higher rate.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Even though i think data caps on home based broadband is ridiculous, 250GB (which is what comcast provides) is verrrry hard to fill unless you are purposely trying to. I was downloading consistently for a month straight and still only got to 220GB. Therefore I think this argument over whether comcast creates a limit on netflix and such is moot point. Plus it is their service, why wouldn't they want to give it an edge on their internet?

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]thorkle[/nom]Even though i think data caps on home based broadband is ridiculous, 250GB (which is what comcast provides) is verrrry hard to fill unless you are purposely trying to. I was downloading consistently for a month straight and still only got to 220GB. Therefore I think this argument over whether comcast creates a limit on netflix and such is moot point. Plus it is their service, why wouldn't they want to give it an edge on their internet?.[/citation]
By the way, I am not sure they track your downloading perfectly, because I am certain I downloaded over 220GB of files, on top of regular internet usage

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Do any readers know why there is typically only one cable provider in a given area? AFAIK, cable is treated like a utility, and as such its providers recieve certain benefits alongside being saddled with certain additional regulations. The general purpose of this was probably pitched long ago to some foolish legislator as, "it's the best approach, so that we don't have multiple sets of sewer / water / electricity / gas / telephone / cable lines going to each house." So cable providers get handed a de facto monopoly, in return for which they have to do certain things. They have to make basic TV (local OTA network) available at or below a certain set rate, and there are various other hoops they have to jump through.

The problem here, as I see it, is that Comcast is taking advantage of a monopoly that the local population has given to them, and abused it for the purpose of blocking out a potential competitor. Netflix isn't competing with Comcast online; it's competing with Cable TV, HBO, Starz, and all of the other content that Comcast sells to its subscribers. So yes, they of course want to squash Netflix into oblivion so that they can continue to upsell all of these services and make more profits. But using their monopoly as a cable provider - and hence an ISP - to do so is extremely dangerous. As others have pointed out, it's a very slippery slope when the only people who can reasonably deliver the content to you decide to start putting differential price tags on different pieces of content. Imagine Comcast Amazon, Comcast NewEgg, etc. Use their site or pay through the nose. Think you'll be able to research the best prices online in such an environment? Think you'll even be able to research all of the products available in the marketplace?

I think it's time that ISPs were forced - by regulation, and by virtue of them being utilities - to be independent from content providers. The alternative gets too ugly, too easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.