Sony Receiver STRDH550 - How do I Output Composite Video?

Peregrine2976

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
Hi all,

I'm encountering a problem with my new receiver (Sony STRDH550) - I have an HDMI output to my television, and it works great with HDMI output. However, I can't get the composite video inputs to output to the TV, no matter what I try.

The TV model is a Toshiba 32SL410U.

I have an N64 and a DVD player plugged into the composite inputs.

I've tried using the receiver's HDMI output to the TV, which resulted in nothing. A black screen. I figured, okay, maybe it can't output composite on an HDMI cable. A little stupid - I mean, I wasn't expecting it to upscale or anything, but I at LEAST expected it to output - but fine.

Next I tried using the 'Monitor Out' and the adjacent two red and white plugs to output a composite signal to the television. Resulted in 'No video signal'.

Also tried using the 'TV' red and white plugs for the audio, since the two adjacent plugs are labelled 'SA-CD/CD'. Still nothing.

At this point I'm getting extremely frustrated. Whatever I try, I can't seem to get a composite signal to output from the receiver!

EDIT: I've tried every single iteration of inputs to outputs I can think of, and ruled out every possible weak link in this system.

I connected the N64 directly to the television via composite. It works.
I connected the Bluray directly to the television via composite. It works.
I connected the Bluray, my Apple TV, and my Xbox 360 to the receiver via HDMI, and the receiver to the television via HDMI. They all work.
I connected the N64 to the receiver via composite, and the receiver to the television via HDMI. Didn't work.
I connected the Bluray to the receiver via composite, and the receiver to the television via HDMI. Didn't work.
I connected the N64 to the receiver via composite, and the receiver to the television via composite using the Monitor Out video and TV audio. Didn't work.
I connected the Bluray to the receiver via composite, and the receiver to the television via composite using the Monitor Out video and TV audio. Didn't work.
I connected the N64 to the receiver via composite, and the receiver to the television via composite using the Monitor Out video and SA-CD/CD audio. Didn't work.
I connected the Bluray to the receiver via composite, and the receiver to the television via composite using the Monitor Out video and SA-CD/CD audio. Didn't work.
I went through every setting on the receiver individually. Aside from renaming the inputs, there weren't even any settings dealing with the video inputs, just audio inputs, and then it was just to assign different audio inputs to the corresponding video inputs (ie. changing the 'Video' input to use the Optical audio input).

The only thing I can conclude at this point is that the receiver is broken. Kind of disappointing, it was a brand new unit.

If your receiver doesn't convert composite to HDMI then the composite video output should work for those sources using composite video inputs. This should have worked. The manual is really bad so I understand your pain. You do need to assign the audio input you use to the composite video input and select that input as your source..