Sony Says Games Will Read Emotions in 10 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
This is creepy but interesting. I don't see this function being used for any actual game-play but it could become a useful tool. One could practice speaking to a virtual crowd to get better at speaking to a audience. Perhaps it could be used to make those of us who tend to be a little socially awkward to not get maced by women anymore. (Not that, that has ever happened to me)
If its programmed to give feedback and give tips to the user it would easily be a replacement to practicing in-front of a mirror.

Pyree

Distinguished
Got my PS6 console, playing final fantasy XIX. Female character came up in the game, stared at me disgusted and said, "Anata wa hentaidesu!"

The future...

G

Noob [knife] killed x Heavy
Noob [knife] killed x Heavy...

x Heavy [Ragequit]

no no no no and no.

leadpoop

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Great! I can tell that I would fall in love with the console, Sony would remove selling feature, and all i'm left with is a case of herpes!! Well I won't being falling for Sonys tricks this time around.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Lets see... Origin from EA selling private information to 3rd partys, Sony getting hacked... And now they say in 10 years this. Am i the only one who thinks this is freakin dangerous?

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Gamer feels really depressed, has a gun or knife on the coffee table. The game systems camera picks up the data and within several minutes there is a knock at the door, the real world feds/cops have decided you are dangerous and need to be arrested, for your own good of course.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Or, sing you happy birthday and annihilate the human race because you woke up PO'ed at the world and your computer only wants to make you happy.

G

"As far as I’m concerned, the motion control of today is like the 8-bit phase of video games. There are so many limitations."

Well, as far as I'm concerned, both the Wii and 360 seem to be succeeding pretty well with unique motion-based experiences. Just because Sony doesn't know how to innovate anything beyond waiting for the competition to release a product and then carbon copy it and market it as its own doesn't mean the industry is limited... Maybe the reason Sony had such lackluster security was because it didn't have a public example to copy from... But now I'm just beating the dead horse.

On a somewhat related note, I don't see things like this ever taking off mainstream unless they can be conveniently built into handheld controllers. Setting up a motion sensor bar or a Kinect camera is one thing, but having lots of Wii Fit-like biometric devices laying around just to play certain games that are developed to use some and not others just doesn't sound so great. No one is going to invest in a biometric device that supports two titles.

I agree with the sentiments of the last paragraph; "games" like this in most cases aren't really games. Motion sensing still feels like just a gimmick to me, and IMO, Nintendo is really the only one that's integrated it very well into their DS and Wii to give many titles an immersive motion sensing experience. But I guess that can be attributed to the fact that both of those platforms were designed with the motion control in mind, whereas Move and Kinect were adopted much later on.

That being said, the big motion control titles have all but died out and the industry is back to focusing mostly on the traditional format of games. That's because gimmicks alone just don't work. Look at the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.