Sony Silently Squeezed Out 70MB More PS3 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]gaevs[/nom]Yes, a big idiot is better than a small one![/citation]
A big idiot is much scarier than a little idiot... O_O

CraigP3

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Sony cleans up! 1st Jlo... now 70mb on the PS3 If I could only get them to remove those rootkits from my DVD collection?

CraigP3

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Sony cleans up! 1st Jlo... now 70mb on the PS3 If I could only get them to remove those rootkits from my DVD collection?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Nice job SONY! Though 70MB is not that much more... but it is better than before for sure.

While squizing your OS size, SONY... have you thought about increasing the system memory size? At least in terms of the building cost of PS3... adding extra 1GB memory should not effect the building cost too much...;) ..

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
and of course... if SONY can upgrade the GPU to DX10 or even DX11.... it will be even better!!!!

(I am dreaming.........)

Rorick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]and of course... if SONY can upgrade the GPU to DX10 or even DX11.... it will be even better!!!!(I am dreaming.........)[/citation]

my guess is that will be on the next gen of consoles.

enderwiggen

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rorick[/nom]my guess is that will be on the next gen of consoles.[/citation]

DX18 more likely. Don't hold your breath waiting for next gen.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This is why should double the amount of ram they think they need after games on the consoles and if they did so most would have a few extra years of life before they are dropped. 256mb is nothing by todays standards while 512mb for the system out side the gpu would make the difference.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is why should double the amount of ram they think they need after games on the consoles and if they did so most would have a few extra years of life before they are dropped. 256mb is nothing by todays standards while 512mb for the system out side the gpu would make the difference.[/citation]

Please no. The last thing consoles need is a longer life span. Because they spend 3-6 years on the market, PC users get stuck with 3-6 year old graphics from cheap ported games, while console players exclaim "SHINNYYY!!!!" over old gen tech.

sigma3d

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
ps3 dont uses directx system. it uses its own property gpu sdk platform.

the only limit for ps3 is its cpu and gpu power. you can get much more realistic visuals than dx10 or even dx11 in ps3. but you get real crappy fps.

because of this developers are tied within the optimal visual/fps range when developing thier titles...

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is why should double the amount of ram they think they need after games on the consoles and if they did so most would have a few extra years of life before they are dropped. 256mb is nothing by todays standards while 512mb for the system out side the gpu would make the difference.[/citation]

I remember reading an article last year that detailed exactly why consoles dont need the tons of RAM that the PC needs. It had to do with the way they code games for consoles vs. PC's allowing them to use less overall RAM. Not having to worry about things like multitasking and other 3rd party software hogging resources. The RAM they have to use in the console is fixed and and so the coders need to be more efficient with how they use it. That was my understanding at least, not being a coder myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.