Sony: Some PSN Personal Info Wasn't Encrypted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
What is the purpose of filling the message with superlatives about super-deluxe avant garde extra special data security they had? It was breached. It makes no difference.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
jgalecio: That's terrible, also is it just me or have some people here not recieved those e-mails because I sure haven't. Maybe this breach happened to a certain part of the system for example everyone who signed up between 2007-2008 or has a last name between A-M, because although this is terrible it has not affected me yet.

geeess

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Maybe this will bring back otheros,
Apparently there will be a mandatory firmware update that will force a password change.
What will happen to all the poor developers that stayed with otheros but were once, long-ago
dumb enough to share their credit card info with Sony....
This is all so wrong, it would make a good movie:
- A group of hackers infiltrates one of the biggest media companies
- Steals 75 Million personal records in just two days ( amazing if you do the math )
- Nobody notices
- Nobody cares
- And then that company silently slips everyone a neat mail that they need to watch their funds themselves
- Tears down the old system and probably all evidence
- And the movie ends
No, I guess nothing will change, those of us who still have a PS3 for otheros probably won't even get the chance to change our password.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
It should be a legal requirement for any company that stores electronic customer data to have ALL that data encrypted.

10 years ago encrypting large amounts of data may have been a big deal....
In 2011 encrypting data isn't exactly a difficult or costsly thing to do... Quite frankly there's no excuse for a company the likes of Sony to not encrypt their customer's personal data.

castle songbird

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I think whoever did this just wanted to breach the security lines of psn's user's info to effectively force Sony to do a lengthy investigation and shut down psn in the meantime. They basically called in a bomb threat.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
So.. why do they need your name, address, DOB, and various other information so you can play a game again? Wouldn't it be easier to guard information they didn't collect?

So there's billing, but battle.net among others lets you pay through PayPal and other indirect ways, so there's no credit card billing validation. Of course, then you have to wonder why Blizzard collects all that information as well.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Doesn't matter if it was encrypted or not, it's out there now, someone somewhere is gonna bust the stuff wide open, may take weeks, months but they will......

zaperbaby

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
All I can say is WTF Sony you encrypted credit card information WHY NOT PERSONAL INFORMATION LIKE HELLO WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING !!!

To bad you don't value your customers enough to secure there information if you even used half the security used in copy protection you wouldn't be in this hot water now would YOU? Hell blu-ray and dvd movies are encrypted and it's only video not sensitive information

I wouldn't be surprised if you use weak encryption on the credit card information as well

I would like my OTHER OS back With the GPU Unlocked please.

you might want to work on flash support in the web browser as well

PS3 it does everything including give out your personal information.

I don't think it was right what the hacker or hackers did stealing the psn account information and I hope they don't use it for fraud.

I don't think it was right what Sony did by removing other os heck don't think Sony would even be in this mess yet if they left other os there
I think the PS3 would have been hacked anyway if some one wants to copy games they will.

Just do your best to keep game prices reasonable and don't let copied games go online.

hopefully they learn one thing from this don't mess with hackers and ALL customer information has to be well encrypted.

This was the last straw for me I will avoid buying anymore sony products from now on and yes at one point I had a sony music cd root kit on my computer sony can't be trusted anymore I had to cancel my credit card and have fear of identity theft be cause they thought they could save some money by not encrypting personal information.

I truly be leave Sony put this on them self by taking the other os (Linux) feature out linux users are talented people who love a challenge so when they removed the other os they took that challenge cracking the PS3 wide open with side effects being backup managers and piracy.

I also wasn't to happy to find out when they remove linux you don't get your 10gb Linux partition back you have to format your hd to gain access to the 10gb of space again really stupid if you ask me.

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Doesn't matter if it was encrypted or not, it's out there now, someone somewhere is gonna bust the stuff wide open, may take weeks, months but they will......[/citation]
NO, sorry but if they REALLY encrypted the data a brute force would take a long.....long time to get anywhere. Virtually impossable to break. Please dont spout rubish like this, the other 12 year olds might believe you!

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Yea what zaperbaby said; too bad $ony isn't a reasonable company, they are a greedy corporation! All this mess over a frickin' toy. I wished someone made a cell based workstation that wasn't god-awful expensive;that way the scientific community could continue their work and the die-hard fanboys could have their drm loaded locked down playtoy.everyone wins this way. But back on point, months ago "hackers" said that all that info was open and unencrypted....but nobody believed them I guess.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
A friend of mine told me that the hacker group is indeed claiming to have stolen credit card information, however. They also are selling the package, it seems.

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jgalecio[/nom]Bigger than Sony lets on: My friend called me the other day and Chase had called him informing him that an attempt to withdraw $4000 from his savings was blocked. He never had an incident like this before until he received that email from Sony in regards to the stolen PSN information. I have been personally checking my account as well and moved most of my money to another account that PSN is not associated with. Sony up big time on this one![/citation]

Did you guys miss this or what? Either our CC info wasn't encrypted or they have already broken the encryption. I too have a blocked transfer of funds from my account from which my psn was linked to. Hopefully the bank will trace the destination account and find out who did it. But if it was encrypted and they broke it then catching them will definitely be difficult. I am still betting Sony didn't encrypt the CC information.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
"Of course, the good news in all this is that credit card information, whether it was stolen or not, was encrypted."

The bad news is that they don't understand encryption at all (PS3 private key?)

Status
Not open for further replies.