Solved! Sony Speaker SRS-XB20 Turns Off At Max Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2018
Hey,
My sony speaker turns off when the phone is on max media and/or when the speaker is on max volume. I have no idea how to resolve this problem, but it is god damn annoying.

Solution
Assuming you are using a cable to connect your phone to the speaker you may be overloading the input of the speaker when you turn the phone volume up too high. That would cause distortion that could damage the speaker so it shuts down. Leave the phone volume down and turn the speaker volume up.
Assuming you are using a cable to connect your phone to the speaker you may be overloading the input of the speaker when you turn the phone volume up too high. That would cause distortion that could damage the speaker so it shuts down. Leave the phone volume down and turn the speaker volume up.

Solution
Mar 23, 2018

I connect them using bluetooth, and I think if the speaker is on max volume and the phone is on half or something it'll still turn off. Will try and inform you asap.

Mar 23, 2018

The speaker turned off once while it was on max volume and the phone audio was a bit less than half and I had the Extra Bass function turned on. I turned off Extra Bass and put my phone on max volume and left the speaker on max volume to see if it would turn off, and it did.

Turned off while at max volume on both speaker and phone without extra bass.

Jan 18, 2019
I've had this same issue since I bought the speaker. If the volume is too high, the power just cuts out. If you turn the speaker back on, don't adjust volume, and continue, it won't even play. The speaker just dies again immediately. If you lower the volume, it will work. Anecdotally, it happens more frequently with songs that have heavy bass so I think it's related to that.

I'm not an engineer but the only thing I can think of is that there is a short somewhere that occurs when power to the bass ramps up. I suspect we've received defective units and this isn't a problem with all SRS XB20's because there's just not enough complaints online.

I've found a few scattered threads online with ppl asking for help. Never an answer or even a reasonable guess.

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to gather some of my engineering friends and we'll dismantle this thing in an effort to figure it out. It'll be fun, but I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. This is a good speaker, but it's painful to use with the power issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.