Sony STR-DN1080 US/AU Voltage Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mealingsfam

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hi all,
I have a new model Sony AVR that we got in the US but was going to use it in Australia.

Now I know voltages are different (110 vs 240) and already have some other US appliances using a step down transformer - however my son in his eagerness noted it said on the back 'AC 110v~60hz 240w' so he just added a AU plug adapter and switched her on - he said a small click and a small puff of smoke was the result. Grrr...

So I have 2 questions as a result:

1) does the above reference indicate that the unit 'should' be dual voltage compatible so possibly the dual voltage switch didn't work?

The reference to 240w is what confused my son and it does seem written different to other devices that are dual voltage (eg 100-240v AC 50/60hz).

2. Would this be repairable? Are these newer AVR's components protected in such a way where the whole unit hasn't been fried?

I will take to a service centre to validate, but they are closed now for Christmas.

Thanks all!

Solution
The note says that it is NOT dual voltage compatible. If it were, it would probably have something like "90VAC to 250VAC 50-60Hz". "240w" is the power draw -- 240 WATTS (about 2 amps).

You probably burned a fusable link and maybe some resistors. But that is just a guess. It will take an electronics technician with a service manual to determine what the scope of damage is.

kanewolf

Judicious
The note says that it is NOT dual voltage compatible. If it were, it would probably have something like "90VAC to 250VAC 50-60Hz". "240w" is the power draw -- 240 WATTS (about 2 amps).

You probably burned a fusable link and maybe some resistors. But that is just a guess. It will take an electronics technician with a service manual to determine what the scope of damage is.

Solution

mealingsfam

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

Thanks for your quick reply and clarification. I even missed the w - 'watts' reference...just saw the 240 which no doubt my son did similar! Definitely our bad :-(

So there’s hope I may yet to be actually get to use it...will take to a service centre as soon as they reopen in the new year.

Mar 5, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS