Sony STR-KG700, only the front left and front right speakers work

jacobbaillargeon

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Hi everyone! I set up my Sony STR-KG700 speaker set for my computer. However, when I go into Control Panel -> Sound and test (or test in RealTek HD Audio Manager), only the front left and front right speakers work.

I keep switching between 2.0 and 5.1 in my sound settings, it doesn't seem to do anything. There's also buttons on the receiver, where I can press different buttons to select different "sound fields" according to the manual.

EDIT: I completely forgot that my motherboard has multiple audio ports. There's a green port that's labelled "Front Speaker Out", and a ton of other ports. Two of the other ports are labelled "Center/Subwoofer Speakers out" and "Rear Speakers Out".

Right now, I have two plugs (red and white) which go into the receiver, and one plug on the other end to go into the motherboard. It looks like I need 3 plugs on the other end?

EDIT #2: Okay, so I plugged the one cord that I have into my "Front Speaker Out". I set the sound field to PLII MV, which apparently gives me a pseudo 5.1 surround sound from 2-channel input. All speakers function right now. Is this the only solution for me, or can I easily get some sort of audio splitter or something?

Solution
Your board has an optical out port located next to the hdmi port.

Buy an optical cable , use that optical output & you should get full digital 5.1 audio.
Your sony only accepts full 5.1 signals via digital inputs .

Therefore if your motherboard (what model is it ??) only has analog out you need an analog to digital converter or a seperate soundcard with digital out to get 'real' surround sound.

jacobbaillargeon

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

Oh, okay!

My motherboard is a P8Z68-V Pro.