Sony Sued for Negligence Over PS3 Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
im more pissed of that my ps3 YLOD the day that PSN came back online. Now its just sitting there collecting dust, im too lazy to fix it and id rather buy a new one then pay sony to fix it but i dont feel like forking over the cash...
maybe ill never get to finish infamous or FF13 (im really late to the console party since im mostly a PC gamer)

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Good, 3 days after the hack my credit card had been used, im suspicious that it was from the PSN hack, i think SONY should have to pay for their niglect, they are too cheap and or lazy to keep their networks secure...

G

I'm surprised they admitted they were hacked as they deny everything else like all the manufacture defects their Playstation 3 console has.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I quit PSN 3 years ago and SWG 5 years ago and I still got the e-mail from Sony regarding my info being compromised and the subsequent 'reset your password' message. They've kept my accounts active even though I've canceled years ago. That's just messed up.

I want in on this law suit.

Where my money at!?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]paulsmith[/nom]I'm surprised they admitted they were hacked as they deny everything else like all the manufacture defects their Playstation 3 console has.[/citation]

What manufacture defect?
My PS3, I have it for 5 to 6 years now and it has NEVER fail.

I think that your confusing it with the 360 and their manufacturing defects.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
"though the flaw was generally known, Sony management was not aware of it."
That is because they ignored the memos on the subject and were warned by the techs running the web servers and security team then to save money they fired the security team.
It was all about saving money at the expense of our security plain and simple.

G

Who are you people?
@Minkeystew That's a really good propaganda ...:\

G

Its funny how a lot of you comment on about lack of security and yet you guys probably dont know so much about it. Let put this in terms that you will understand. No security in the world is secured enough. Even if Sony heed the warnings from their Techies, I'm pretty sure Sony would still get hacked (maybe not to the extent). The CIA, Facebook, and Google were hacked and im pretty sure the CIA probably have one of the top network security. What does this tell you? It tells you that if hackers want to break in they will find a way.
It also funny how some of you claim that someone used your credit card to purchase items without your authorities but Sony and the Government confirmed that no Credit cards were compromised during the breech on personal information. Personal information that I can easily obtain through facebook and the yellow pages. Capcom was recently hacked and they did mentioned that they upgraded their security after the Sony incident. Sony also proved that they have the most updated security software but yet you all seems to ignore that one little fact. Im not a Sony fanboy or anything, but face it this wont be the last time you will a hear a big corporate company get hacked. No Network security is 100%, they will be lucky if they have 75%.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Anyone who feels they should get in on this should be ashamed of themselves, and while you are at it why don't you hurt this country more by buying a house that is too expensive for you and then let it go into forclosure.

Class action lawsuites like this are the biggest problem in this country and in the long run only benefits the Lawyers. This lawsuite was probably started by lawyers or by a lawyers instruction and they are the ONLY ones who will get anything worth while. I know this because I have been on the side where I was part of a lawsuite against a cruise company over a cruise that I was on. Apparently they did something wrong during the trip that I hadn't really noticed. Everyone on the cruise got a $20.00 voucher (which you could have gotten in the paper) and the lawyers got several million.

So, if you would like to make it so that no console manufacturer can afford the risk of having their network taken down by hackers and therefore have no gaming consoles, but we would enable a lawfirm to add some additions to their highrise office they have in NYC and then give bonuses to their senior members (now remember most of these lawfirms produce NOTHING valuable to our countries economy except suing other companies with the accusation that the company they are suing is greedy ), go right ahead. The lack of producting things in this country isn't only because of cheap labor, its also because of the legal risks companies are taking when working in such a litigious country.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
It's about F@CKIN time!!! Sony, or as South Park calls it "Fony", is one of the worst companies ever!!! Heck, I would rather let myself die in a game, than let any corporation get any of my money (Newegg & Amazon excluded)!!!

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I can see this going to the supreme court where it'll be ruled that networks are considered to be inherently insecure and consumers can't expect privacy, so Sony won't be held responsible.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Kayoss[/nom]Its funny how a lot of you comment on about lack of security and yet you guys probably dont know so much about it. Let put this in terms that you will understand. No security in the world is secured enough. Even if Sony heed the warnings from their Techies, I'm pretty sure Sony would still get hacked (maybe not to the extent). The CIA, Facebook, and Google were hacked and im pretty sure the CIA probably have one of the top network security. What does this tell you? It tells you that if hackers want to break in they will find a way. It also funny how some of you claim that someone used your credit card to purchase items without your authorities but Sony and the Government confirmed that no Credit cards were compromised during the breech on personal information. Personal information that I can easily obtain through facebook and the yellow pages. Capcom was recently hacked and they did mentioned that they upgraded their security after the Sony incident. Sony also proved that they have the most updated security software but yet you all seems to ignore that one little fact. Im not a Sony fanboy or anything, but face it this wont be the last time you will a hear a big corporate company get hacked. No Network security is 100%, they will be lucky if they have 75%.[/citation]

It's funny how you're commenting on security when you don't even understand that the CIA stores actual important information on a much more secure private internet not connected to the public internet the average person uses. The CIA's public page was taken down, now no one can find out when the gift shop is open.. Very few systems are secure from real hackers, but it's not hard to secure your servers from script kiddies and botnets. Also, Sony has no clue what has been taken, just that it hasn't been used on a major scale yet, which proves absolutely nothing. Do you really expect me to trust the word of the government either when they'll gladly bend over for the whims of any major corporation?

No, sorry, these companies are responsible for at least attemping to protect user information. Laying off security personnel, ignoring known threats, and leaving yourself wide open to SIMPLE grade school hacking is not an attempt. Do you blame your computer when you have a virus, even though you have no antivirus and downloaded questionable material?

And Stringer walks away with slightly less millions of dollars this year for a catastrophic blunder. Hey Japan, whatever happened to Seppuku?

G

@Kayoss

except the difference being Google dont leave their username and password list unencrypted and fully exposed, same way CIA field operative names have never been compromised, and considering these two 'must' be hacked regularly (according to your assumption) that must take some work...... or a decent understanding of layered security system

you are correct there are no security system that is 100% secure but you can plan for and negate breaches in security just by simply implementing deeper levels of security, simply just having the latest and greatest security isn't going cut it, whats the worth of having a 5inch solid steel door if there is a 10mm pane of glass next to it, Sony's security was second rate simply because they allowed for a single point failure to comprise the system and user data

so yes their security system sucked big

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Good luck guys. You may have had people's sympathy a while back, but I doubt you would find much support now. Frankly, why not launch a suit against the hackers instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS