Solved! Sony Vaio display problem

Gozoman

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
I have an old Sony Vaio Model VPCEA laptop running Windows 7 64 bit which I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. However I have a screen problem that I would like to sort out first. Whenever I move the screen back and forward the screen sort of flickers. It doesn’t go black or anything it just sort of goes slightly darker and then brighter again. I used the Vaio Care function to test the display and it passed as okay. I went onto the Sony eSupport site and downloaded the latest Intel Graphics driver which was dated 2013 and installed it but that made no difference. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and is it something I could fix? It’s almost as if there is a loose connection or something but usually the ribbon cables on these things are very secure so I don’t want to mess around too much until I have a better idea what the problem may be. Any help greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sounds like a loose connection to me. Alas the only way to know for sure is to go inside it and check the cable itself and check the connections for it on both ends.

If the cable is pinched or bent oddly, this could cause what you are getting. Also if the connection (on either end) is even just a tad loose.

Luckily if it is just the cable, that is cheap and replaceable. Now if it is an issue with in the display itself, say a part that becomes loose when moving, that could be more work and more costly.

If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, you can always try a local tech.
Sounds like a loose connection to me. Alas the only way to know for sure is to go inside it and check the cable itself and check the connections for it on both ends.

If the cable is pinched or bent oddly, this could cause what you are getting. Also if the connection (on either end) is even just a tad loose.

Luckily if it is just the cable, that is cheap and replaceable. Now if it is an issue with in the display itself, say a part that becomes loose when moving, that could be more work and more costly.

If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, you can always try a local tech.

Solution

Gozoman

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015

Okay thanks for that. It certainly sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Guess I'll have to get my hands dirty and get inside.

TRENDING THREADS