Sony Vaio F Series Overheating

seekheart

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
hello everyone,

I have an old sony vaio from 2010 that was working great up till last month when at idle the laptop cpu temp goes up to 80C... I think it maybe the thermal paste wearing off but I don't know exactly how to replace it given that I don't know the anatomy of a laptop. Could someone point me in the direction of a tutorial or diagrams?

kentaro88

Estimable
Mar 11, 2015
I disassembled my Sony F12 and decided to explore a bit. (You can find a good tutorial on YouTube for doing this.) I removed the cooling fan and copper heatsink unit for further examination and found the unit to be generally clean on the outside. The surprise is what you don't see; if you look into the fan box (I was not able to disassemble this unit), you will see that the copper fins are very close together and that lint accumulates on the inside of the box, and is not visible from the outside. I use canned air to blow out as much as I could and was able to see light pass through in certain areas. I then proceeded to use cotton swabs dipped in alcohol and cleaned copper fins inside the fan box. THIS is the key. After doing this, I was able to see light pass into the inside of the fan box. I reassemble the laptop and started it up. The fan no longer ran at high speed and was quite quiet compared to before. This solved my problem. I have since used the laptop for weeks and the fan is still quiet and I haven't had an unexpected shutdown (probably due to thermal protection). Problem solved. Issue was poor design of the fan box making it essentially a non-serviceable part from a average user standpoint.