Sony VAIO laptop 'c' key types 'v' ??

kevinnurmi

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
So the other day on my Sony VAIO SVE14A35 I noticed that my 'c' key was typing 'v' every time.

Didn't really do anything out of the ordinary, although I did visit a spam link for kicks that was skyped to me (a webcam site), and I did notice the problem soon after that. Honestly I really doubt it has anything to do with it but it's the only thing I can think of that was abnormal. Maybe I wasn't using the c key earlier and problem was there earlier.

I figured a reboot would help, no go. I plugged in an external USB keyboard, and the 'c' key on that keyboard works fine.

I figured my keyboard was bad, so I bought a working pull from a huge laptop part company on ebay. Keyboard looks totally fine. Installed it and STILL THE SAME THING?!?

Finally, I did a reformat with a fresh install of Windows 10. (I was on Windows 10 insider edition ever since it was available). NO DICE.

I was sure the replacement keyboard would have fixed it, but no go! UNLESS this happens to be a common issue with Sony VAIO SVE series, and I happened to get a keyboard with the same issue.

Any ideas?

NUM Lock off, sticky keys off, Screen lock off....etc.

Luckily the laptop is a touch screen and I can bring up an on screen keyboard to type in a 'c' when needed. Obviously this is a huge pain! Should I be looking for a new laptop?

Thanks,
Kevin

Solution
Hi,

That's a bit weird indeed since it should have been fixed when you formatted Windows 10 plus replaced it with a new keyboard. If it's working normally using an external USB keyboard then the only place you can check is inside the motherboard. I would suggest blowing compressed air on the motherboard specially on the port when you plug the ribbon cable of the keyboard and if that will not work unfortunately it's the motherboard that needs to be replaced. :(
Hi,

That's a bit weird indeed since it should have been fixed when you formatted Windows 10 plus replaced it with a new keyboard. If it's working normally using an external USB keyboard then the only place you can check is inside the motherboard. I would suggest blowing compressed air on the motherboard specially on the port when you plug the ribbon cable of the keyboard and if that will not work unfortunately it's the motherboard that needs to be replaced. :(

Solution

kevinnurmi

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Holy moly! Spraying canned air on the ribbon cable/connector worked!

Honestly I can say I do work in my garage on cars and I do leave my laptop out to listen to music. Surprisingly, it was pretty clean in there. I was doubtful it would work, but it did. Thanks a ton. Never really thought of cleaning the connector, and was going to have to suffer a bit by using "Control V" to paste a "c" character when I needed to type it until I could afford a new one.