Sony vaio laptop won't turn on but is receiving power

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm26fusion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I have a Sony Vaio laptop right now. Recently the power jack went bad as it seems many do. I do a replacement of the jack. Of course to do this you pretty much have to take the whole computer apart to get the jack loose and replace it. Put everything back pretty much with ease. Plugged it up and the power light is flashing like normal showing that it is receiving power. However this is where the problem comes in. When I turn it on nothing happens. No boot up, fan noise or anything. The On light will come on for one second and then go back off. I have attempted to turn it on both with and without the battery in the computer. Still same issue. Any help anyone as to what could possibly be the issue? Thanks

jm26fusion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
thanks for the help.. just got it fixed.. turned out there was a turn switch of some sort that had "lock" and "unlock" on it. it was locked, turned it to unlock and now the computer boots like it should. That issue is fixed. However now the mouse is non-responsive. I can use a wireless mouse and everything is fine. Just the laptops mouse is out. Any ideas on that the mouse?

kaifumui

Distinguished
May 21, 2010

Hi jm26fusion,
My Sony Vaio laptop has the same problem like yours. It is receiving power, but it won't turn on or boot up. Can you tell me where that "lock" and "unlock" switch is located? Thanks so much for your help!

Kai

G

The lock/unlock is for the CPU and locks the CPU in the socket. It should be LOCKED to securely seat the CPU in the socket. The heatsink mount will keep it from coming out, however, there is a good chance the CPU pins will lose connectivity and cause issues if it is not LOCKED. -JR

AG888

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

Hi jm26fusion,

My wife owns a Sony Vaio, and is experiencing the same situation. The computer will obviously be "on", but the monitor will be blank. But, it does this sporadically. Sometimes it turns on without a hitch, others it's nearly impossible to get it started...she'd literally spend hours trying to turn it on via the power button. Where is the lock/unlock switch that you mentioned? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

AG

brazman

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I have a Sony Vaio model PCG-61611L and tried all of these suggestions and none worked. I pressed the power button and the power LED would come on, CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, AND SCROLL LOCK LEDs would flash then it appeared that nothing else happened. I could open the DVD/CD drive and this is what appears to be my issue. Turned Laptop off then back on and immediately pressed the DVD/CD eject button and the system powered up. Leaving the tray ejected seemed to solve my issue. Went into BIOS and set default boot to hard drive and now it appears to be functioning. I'm not fully convinced that I have solved my issue due to how it acted previously. Just as you stated it would work sometimes with no issues then there are times it took awhile to get it to power up. I am hoping that I was experiencing some kind of conflict with boot selection and that this may be a solution. Hope it works for you.

bo33b

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Brazman!! You have helped save my sanity!

I have been trying for days to troubleshoot my neighbor's laptop but after completely disassembling the machine and examining / testing everything I could find nothing wrong! The model is the same as yours: PCG-61611L ON THE BACK and VPC23EEFX ON THE LCD's BOTTOM CORNER.

The symptoms were the same: Power LED works, All other LEDs would flash once, No power to anything important (HDD, Fan, LCD) but the DVD drive and USB ports had power, and the CPU WAS HOT.

The motherboard appears well-soldered & undamaged. I unplugged everything except the DC power jack and the fan, and made it my goal to get that fan to spin! The CPU was hot so I set up a secondary fan to keep it from overheating, then I poked and prodded everywhere I could think of, taking breaks to read different hardware forums, and you know what finally worked? Yep, connecting the DVD drive, pressing power, then immediately ejecting the DVD tray...not a moment later, the fan started to spin, then there was some activity on the memory card reader's LED.

So, good sir, my question to you is whether your BIOS tweaks have made your system stable again and whether you have any further advice. I'm a little afraid to put the whole thing back together not knowing if there may be something else I need to investigate. I'm still curious about the OP's "turn switch" that had to be set to "unlock"...if that is for the CPU, as rbbnsx4 claims, then setting it to unlock doesn't seem smart...

I appreciate the help tremendously, to all tomshardware supporters and members. Thanks guys!

hostage

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
It seems I have had the same problem... Just got it fixed... Someone tripped over the power cord and ripped the AC/DC cord out of the side of the laptop and broke the internal connection. They plugged it back in, but the computer would not boot. The "num lock" "caps lock" and other LED would stay lit, but the screen was black and it would not boot (or beep, or POST, etc.). I noticed that the HDD light did flicker though...

I bought a new connector on Ebay for about $3.00 and took the laptop apart. I've done hundreds of desktops, but this was my first attempt at a laptop - it went VERY smoothly. Put the new connector in and tried to reboot to no effect! Same as with the old connector. I talked with a friend at a computer store who said if the screen didn't appear it was the motherboard. So, I bought a new laptop, but continued to "play" with the old one. Today, I decided to try switching the memory modules around.

First I removed both, and tried booting - same as with both in - I found this very encouraging!
I then tried one module - same failure
tried the same module in another slot - same failure
tried the second memory module - BOOT - SUCCESS!

Seems that when the cord was yanked out it somehow fried the memory! (or it died at that instant - quite a coincidence.)

The good news is that the Sony Vaio Laptop now boots and runs perfectly (though slowly lacking 1Mb of memory...)

Easy to check on your systems, and who knows you might get lucky as well!

George

martinchen

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
those methods do not work for me.
my laptop is s series vpcs177gg.
when i turn on, the power light flashes in period and the screen keep in black. whatever i press, it is no response even eject the dvd.
can anyone help? it makes me totally crazy.

Martin

skynation

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I have the same issues but the CPU was locked in position so it was not that power and cord are perfect memory works fine (new) but what i did realize if i leave it running no display for about 20minutes until it heats up then power it down the wait for it to cool down then power it on it works but if i shut it off it wont come back on i noticed it has a AMD processor which i think is the problem.Well at least most hp laptop DV2000,6000 and 9000 all have AMD processors and parts.. i will give you all an update skytonez@yahoo.com

jasonhc73

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I just replaced the power connecter also.

Since the system hadn't been used a very long time nobody could remember the password to log on to windows.

So I reboot the viao and tapping F10. I get into the system restore, and see the option to do data recovery. So I do data recovery. I use an external hard drive plugged into the USB port, all seems fine.

Next I boot it up and start windows. Windows comes up just fine. Next I try to find some password recovery (on another computer). I find something and "burn" the iso to a thumb drive.

After I burn the ISO password recovery tool to the thumb drive I put the thumb drive into the Viao and I get power on, hd spin up, display turns on, but no boot up. No "VIAO" on screen, nothing, stuck just like everyone else.

So into the board I go, I have everything off the board. One by one I unplug every attachment, press power button, still nothing. And of course I finally find what is killing the board. As it turns out it is the web cam connector. It's right next to the display connector and very easily slides out, it doesn't pop in like most of the other connectors.

Next I try to boot up with the USB password recovery tool and the very same problem. Power light, HD Spin, CPU Fan, and display all on, just "nobody home". Unplug the thumb drive and viola, up she boots.

All in all I suspect that the USB controller is overloading the MB during boot. I have a usb mouse after boot working fine. With the data backed up to the external HD, now just restoring the system.

G

HI jm26fusion

i have sony vaio laptop with same problem, couldnt find the LOCK and UNLOCK button, can any body help me with the problem

Lynn Ray Standfill

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
the lock unlock switch.. is not a fix.. his was unlocked for what ever reason.. so, it should be locked its the flathead on the units processor housing. should be - not | just as a note I have the same issue with my gf system power comes on but, no lights except the power light. and nothing.. sometimes it works sometimes not.. more not lately.. removed the batt. ran w just power tried ejecting dvd on boot. and re sinking ram.. to no avail ?? stuck.

bo33b

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Sadly your problem is most likely the same as many other VAIO owners. The issue is that the motherboard overheats, and in as little as 1 years time the solder on some chips becomes damaged to the point of complete failure or intermittent operation. The solution is to perform a solder reflow of the affected chip(s). If you can't identify the specific chips that need to be relowed you can attempt to reflow the whole motherboard. See here: www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/ good luck.

There's good advice there bo33b but way beyond the ability of the average laptop owner - I fix PCs for a living and am very wary when I need to take my iron into a laptop. This thread has run its course without actually getting anywhere so its time to close it now.

Lynn Ray Standfill, I have deleted three of your duplicate posts. I suggest you take your Vaio to a professional to carry out the reflow that bo33b recommends but I fear you may find it's an uneconomical repair when viewed against the cost of an up-to-date non-Vaio replacement. Please start a new thread if you need more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.