Sony Vaio will not allow Windows 7 clean installation

vlad06

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I have a Sony VPCZ21M9E which was given to me with no OS on there.

I successfully installed Kali Linux on it but I am unable to get Windows 7 Pro on which is the OS that originally came with the laptop.

I tried Win 7 Pro 64 bit and it got all the way up to finishing installation and then came up with an error stating that it cannot work on the laptop's hardware. I then tried 64 bit with SP1 but that also failed. Finally, I tried 32 bit but it is asking for drivers and now when I reload the installer for any of the versions I don't get the usual screen where I can delete and crete partitions, I just get the 'insert removable media to install drivers' before continuing with Windows installation.

A friend of mine reckons it may be the RAID drivers that Windows is looking for but all of the drivers on the Sony support website are .EXE files and I can't load them during the installation.

Can anybody help with this? I don't understand why Sony make it so hard.

Thanks

Windows 7 needs to be installed first. The windows 7 boot manager doesn't like to install if there is already a Linux partition installed.

A Windows OS should be installed first, because its bootloader is very particular and the installer tends to overwrite the entire hard drive, wiping out any data stored on it. If Windows isn't already installed, install it first. If you are able to partition the drive prior to installing Windows, leave space for Ubuntu during the initial partitioning process. Then you won't have to resize your NTFS partition to make room for Ubuntu later, saving a bit of time.

When a Windows installation already occupies the entire hard drive, its partition needs to be shrunk, creating free space for the Ubuntu partition. You can do this during the Ubuntu installation procedure, or you can see How to Resize Windows Partitions for other options.

If you have resized a Windows 7 or Vista partition and cannot boot up Windows, you can use the instructions from WindowsRecovery to fix it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot