Sony Vegas 11 / 13 not working with GTX 970

QuickyBaby

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
System stats:

i3570k @ 4.0 ghz with H100 cooler
16 gb 1600 mhz
GTX 970

Previously I was using a GTX 560 ti (448 core) and was able to render a 30 min 1920*1080 video in about 45 minutes using GPU acceleration in Sony Vegas 11.

I upgraded to a GTX 970 and the program fails when trying to render using the GPU in Sony Vegas 11.

So I upgraded to Sony Vegas 13 to try and fix this problem and exactly the same happens.

When I force the program to instead render using CPU it takes about 110 minutes to render the same video.

Has anyone else found this same issue? If not do you have GPU processing working with a GTX 970?

Thanks.

Solution
According to this thread GPU acceleration Sony Vegas 13 part of the problem could be caused if you are using Main Concept's codec. According to what I have read Sony has not done a good job in supporting the newer cards and it appears only a select few (usually older cards) actually work well in conjunction with rendering.

This is what you get from the Sony page regarding this issue:
"NVIDIA

Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later.

GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 285.62 or later).

Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 285.62 or later).

NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and...

TheKerangMan

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
i have the same question rambling on my mind for the past 8 months.. currently i'm using fx6300+HD7850 and it works in OpenCL even though gpu usage only about 18%,the rest goes to cpu..however its help. I've been doing some research and so far i've never met a guy succeed in 770 or 970.. I've never been a Fanboy,i want to try having Nvidia cards in my system but unfortunately and sadly 770/970 suits only for gaming..unless you dont care bout budget then 780/R9 290 will be a good choice for gaming and gpu acceleration rendering..dont know about 980..perhaps someone will come with better info..i am in dilemma as well becoz i dont have big budget for 780..

Guidovm_

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
I don't now what it is i have a the same card (GTX970).
tested on version 12 and 13 and only render on GPU.
i think the 970 is not suported on this software, maybe in a later version update.

According to this thread GPU acceleration Sony Vegas 13 part of the problem could be caused if you are using Main Concept's codec. According to what I have read Sony has not done a good job in supporting the newer cards and it appears only a select few (usually older cards) actually work well in conjunction with rendering.

This is what you get from the Sony page regarding this issue:
"NVIDIA

Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later.

GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 285.62 or later).

Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 285.62 or later).

NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and recommends use of the latest boards based on the Fermi architecture.

AMD/ATI

Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required."

Solution

Baloce

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
I just installed EVGA GTX-960 and yes, "No GPU found" message in render as screen. However SVPro13 shows the card in Preferences. What's the difference as it appears SVPro13 recognizes the card. And, how to feedback to Sony of this problem? They need to release a later update than build 428.