Sony VP Explains How PS Vita Outmatches Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Vita is a flop......The WiiU will decimate it in every way, from raw processing power to the library of games. Regardless of what people say, its graphics card will not be on par with current generation hardware, i'll be much better, with a custom made ATI Board. WiiU is a day one buy for me, it'll go nice with my 3DS which is yet again better in its own way then the Vita.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I never liked it when you had to have the portable system to get the most out of game, whether it be Nintendo or Sony. Microsoft's Smart Glass is a little better because a lot people already have a compatible device, but it's still sucky. At least with the Wii-U, it comes with a controller. I feel that the Vita integration would be fine if they bundled a Vita with the lowest-end PS4s, but that's very unlikely

There's been many times where the game could have been just fine without the dual device setup if you used good graphic design.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Vita is a flop......The WiiU will decimate it in every way, from raw processing power to the library of games. Regardless of what people say, its graphics card will not be on par with current generation hardware, i'll be much better, with a custom made ATI Board. WiiU is a day one buy for me, it'll go nice with my 3DS which is yet again better in its own way then the Vita.[/citation]I personally loved the Wii, but it had a pretty lousy library outside what Nintendo offered. I didn't mind it having the weakest graphics out of all 3 consoles

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
He's confused. If they don't sell, the game designers don't write all sorts of new games to make them sell. He think he's going to get eggs without any chickens.

They should lower the price, take a bath, but then make it up as the price of components drop, and they sell more games, and more games get written. The path he's on is affectionately known as a "death spiral". It's costly, but they need to get off that spiral so the unit can succeed long term.

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
It's vita's lineup. sony doesn't have as many 1st party titles to back up its sales compared to nintendo and its 3ds. even so, nintendo already had a floppy opening and had to price cut the 3ds, which then skyrocketed in sales. on sony's side, many users are still fond of their psp and have no motive to move onto the vita since it doesn't have much to offer, because its not backwards compatible with psp UMD's, requires a special memory card that is overpriced, and has a lacking library. Sony is extrememly dependant on 3rd party support and unless some 3rd party makes an awesome vita game, then not much will happen with the vita sales.

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Despite having a PS3, I have zero interest in cross play functionality, and find it insulting that Sony is trying to make that a big selling point. I'm supposed to believe that anything developers do with cross play is enough to justify the near $300 price of admission? Give me a break.

For me, a lack of interesting exclusive games is the main problem. Graphically stripped down ports on a handheld with less than 5 hours of battery life don't interest me, especially when I need to be near a hotspot or another Vita for multiplayer. Cathy is 100% right that the system needs more unique Vita-centric games to be a more attractive purchase.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
After looking at the WiiU, I have to say I am disappointed. The Wii was a cool concept that was dwarfed by the Kinect and I was hoping that they would think of something to add that would add back its 'cool factor'. I'll pass on both.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Ahhh, Sony. Using all the muscles except the one that counts.

If specs and processing power were all that mattered, the Wii would not have sold 30 million MORE consoles than the PS3, and Apple would still be working out of a garage.

Wake up Sony, its not about processing power anymore.

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Ahhh, Sony. Using all the muscles except the one that counts.If specs and processing power were all that mattered, the Wii would not have sold 30 million MORE consoles than the PS3, and Apple would still be working out of a garage.Wake up Sony, its not about processing power anymore.[/citation]

Processing power matters, but there's more to it. Sony's problem with the PS3 was that the type of processor they used was too hard to write games for, and too expensive compared to the competition. As well, when it came out Blu-Ray wasn't the dominant format to replace DVD's.

On the other hand, If you look at the demographics of the people who bought a Wii, I bet you get a lot of people who bought the Wii for a very small set of games, and probably the majority of Wii owners only bought a maximum of 3 games. On the other hand, Most PS3 and 360 owners have much larger game libraries and are much more likely to have spent large amounts of money on microtransactions. Nintendo may have hit the jackpot in hardware sales, but Microsoft is going to come out the clear winner of this generation's console wars in overall revenue and profit.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Vita is a flop......The WiiU will decimate it in every way, from raw processing power to the library of games. Regardless of what people say, its graphics card will not be on par with current generation hardware, i'll be much better, with a custom made ATI Board. WiiU is a day one buy for me, it'll go nice with my 3DS which is yet again better in its own way then the Vita.[/citation]

ok, bit by bit.

1 vita has a smaller screen, makeing less detail seam like there is more, its how it can have ps3 like quality in instances
2 the wiiu will come out with roughly current gen capabilities, but at a higher resolution... the graphics engins will get better and more adapted over time to better suit the system, and in 2-3 years we will see something great from it.
3 the vita isnt a flop yet, it had no great software at launch, and i still dont think it has enough must play software to warrent buying, not to mention the over all cost, not the system, but the memory. once a true system seller hits japan and america we an judge it

[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]I never liked it when you had to have the portable system to get the most out of game, whether it be Nintendo or Sony. Microsoft's Smart Glass is a little better because a lot people already have a compatible device, but it's still sucky. At least with the Wii-U, it comes with a controller. I feel that the Vita integration would be fine if they bundled a Vita with the lowest-end PS4s, but that's very unlikelyThere's been many times where the game could have been just fine without the dual device setup if you used good graphic design.[/citation]

so true, basiclly, if it doesnt come with the system, assume its a dead concept. the kinect was a rare exception where it sold, what, 5 million last christmass. basiclly, if you want the functionality, it has to be a system bundle, otherwise it will be dead.

[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]I personally loved the Wii, but it had a pretty lousy library outside what Nintendo offered. I didn't mind it having the weakest graphics out of all 3 consoles[/citation]

good game desighn does that, and in some cases, like mario galaxy, what would the power of a ps3 really do for it that it doesn't have already?

[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]He's confused. If they don't sell, the game designers don't write all sorts of new games to make them sell. He think he's going to get eggs without any chickens. They should lower the price, take a bath, but then make it up as the price of components drop, and they sell more games, and more games get written. The path he's on is affectionately known as a "death spiral". It's costly, but they need to get off that spiral so the unit can succeed long term.[/citation]

wrong. you need system seller games, the hardware is worth the price, but none of the games make me feel i must play it, every system i own i got because of 1 game that grabbed me so hard that i MUST play it.

a lower price will not make up for it, it just wont. you need the system seller..
and if you want to be cynical, they already have the price lower than cost to make, and subsidize it through memory cards.

[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Ahhh, Sony. Using all the muscles except the one that counts.If specs and processing power were all that mattered, the Wii would not have sold 30 million MORE consoles than the PS3, and Apple would still be working out of a garage.Wake up Sony, its not about processing power anymore.[/citation]

the original apples had FAR more memory than the equivilant pc, making them of higher value. and it was like that for a long time, but at some point, a pc and mac both could have the same amount of ram, and that, their only advantage, went away.

the wii has that kid friendly, everyone in the house can play feel, something that the ps3 and 360 never got. so its not about graphics.

[citation][nom]ashesofempires04[/nom]Processing power matters, but there's more to it. Sony's problem with the PS3 was that the type of processor they used was too hard to write games for, and too expensive compared to the competition. As well, when it came out Blu-Ray wasn't the dominant format to replace DVD's.On the other hand, If you look at the demographics of the people who bought a Wii, I bet you get a lot of people who bought the Wii for a very small set of games, and probably the majority of Wii owners only bought a maximum of 3 games. On the other hand, Most PS3 and 360 owners have much larger game libraries and are much more likely to have spent large amounts of money on microtransactions. Nintendo may have hit the jackpot in hardware sales, but Microsoft is going to come out the clear winner of this generation's console wars in overall revenue and profit.[/citation]

the processor was a problem, but only because it was a year later than the 360... never doubt the value of being first. the 360 would honestly be a failure of a system if it didn't have a year head start and only comparable to a pc at the time. that said, i far prefer the ps3, and lament every game that is a 360 exclusive, i have had 7 of the things, and only 2 ps3s... ps3 lasts ALLOT longer then the 360.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
so why are they comparing a hand held and a tv system? psvita is vs 3ds or did sony lose so bad they actual instead are going to switch it over representing it as Tv console ? i am not a fan boy i`m simply a bit confused.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
At least you can drop Nintendo handhelds and they hold up to abuse of a child. Do that with a Sony Vita and you will be buying another one.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]At least you can drop Nintendo handhelds and they hold up to abuse of a child. Do that with a Sony Vita and you will be buying another one.[/citation]

Actually, the PS Vita does well in drop tests. Especially under 4 feet... build quality on the thing is very good.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I agree that the downfall here is that the PS3 --> Vita connection is an *optional* interface. Developers aren't likely to strictly base their game on an interface that will alienate a portion of users. It will be nothing more than an enhancement. I mean Nintendo learned this 2 generations ago with the Gamecube / GBA attachment. Was it slick? Sure it was, but look how many developers really worked with it. FF Crystal Chronicles is the only game I can think of that really utilized it.

Status
Not open for further replies.