Sony: We Can't Make More Movies Thanks to Piracy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
They are so full of shit! Pirating doesn't hurt that much and hell half the pirated copies of film comes from other countries. Could care less this is another one of their outright lies.

Lets see it costs a family of 4 at least 60 to 70 to go to the movies. These days people don't have that kind of money.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Not going to the theaters has nothing to do with piracy, why would anyone want to leave the comforts of their own flat-screens at home to go spend $ watching a movie at the theater and end up spending more for 2 people to see it than the DVD would cost to own?

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]gravitygirl[/nom]You know why people don't make xerox copies of paperback books? Because the quality is much worse than the original and it costs more to copy it than to buy the real paperback book. There has to be a lesson in there somewhere for Sony and others. Release it everywhere theaters, iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, etc on the same day, for a dollar? Then produce the DVD box set with memorabilia included? With a lottery ticket inside for some regular Joe who bought a physical copy to win a Million dollars. Combines worldwide mass distribution, with a price so cheap even pirates begin to ask themselves why they're going through the trouble, and that lottery mentality layered on top of it all.Hard to feel sorry for Sony.[/citation]

You're right about this except for one thing. Directors can't pay all the tween actors their million dollar contracts in a timely fashion if at all this way and none of them want to break the mold. It isn't just the publishers fault, it goes all the way up to the garbage actors that SOMEONE still pays to watch. The quality of the acting is awful and they are little more than REALLY expensive eye candy. This has both raised the cost of movies and brought down the quality. Combine that with other means to watch these things and I think the public is speaking for itself... It's largely not worth going to the theatre to watch Megan Fox touch some other girl or something similarly stupid. It's not even worth my time to torrent it.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]dhowie[/nom]I think Sony makes a good point, we are all really in sad moral delema, I as we speek, have utorrent getting me the entire Miley Cyrus collection. To think i could of went to the store and spent a good 30-40 bucks......[/citation]

I dunno whats worse, you saying that you are in a moral dilema or that you are torrenting Miley Cyrus?

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Cams and the like are not watchable in my opinion. I'll admit...I downloaded 1 cam once and stopped it 5 minutes in when the guys munching on chips noises drowned out the movie itself. Not only that but the quality is just crap. That's why I just get the DVDRips. I figure the studios already made most of their profits off the hordes of lemmings going to the theaters...so I will stay at home and watch the rips on my own time and not have to deal with morons at the theaters.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]hpstudioz[/nom]...That being said, I personally believe there's a difference between movie/software/music piracy & the theft of a tangible item. For example, I'm guilty of downloading the occasional movie or two, however in every instance the movies I've downloaded were movies I had no intention of spending money on in the theater. To further this point I can honestly say there have been instances where the movie I've downloaded actually appeared better than I expected which prompted me to either go see it on the big screen, or purchase the DVD, when I would not have done either before hand. On a side note, I work in the technical support field, from what I see the percentage of end users with the knowledge of peer-to-peer networking at the torrent level is quite minuet when compared to the movie audience. Perhaps the real problem plaguing the movie industry is originality... They have none![/citation]

Well, in most theft that's of significant value, those theives don't steal those items to use them either, they steal them to trade for real money so that they can purchase what they really want. That invalidates your first point.

I will agree with many here, that downloaded content cannot be accounted to 100% in loss of revenue. There are different priorities for movies:
1. I'll see this one in a theater...
2. This is a must buy one, theater or not, depends how much I like it.
3. This is the kind I'll rent for 5$ at block buster or 6$ for the Blue ray version.
4. I'll try to rent it at the corner store for 2.25$
5. I might download it if it peaks my curiosity, but not enough to shell cash for it.
6. My Girlfriend wants me to download a movie that she liked a while ago just to prove to me that its' good, when in turn I find out that I didn't want to watch that movie in the first place. Good thing I downloaded it. :)

G

"Making a movie takes lots of money and years of effort, and always involves a huge amount of risk"
Uhh.. michael jackson died like 2 months ago.. and they had no plans prior to make this movie... and its out now.. so.. yeah.. lots of years of effort my ass.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ninfanlink[/nom]Why is it when a company bitches about people stealing there product people bash that company. Now i'm not a huge sony fan but if you download a movie and dont pay for it... good or bad its stealing. If somebody breaks into your car or house and takes something thats yours shitte or not.. your going to be bull shit.. right?Stealing is stealing no matter what reason you have for doing it.[/citation]

See, the problem comes about when they call pirates terrorists and when they invade our privacy and take their fans to court and sue them. Remember the government saying smoking Marijuana will make you rape women and commit suicide? It's hard to feel sorry for them when they have BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars to go after regular guy or girl and ruin their life by suing them. And I'm sure this is just the tip of the ice burg when it comes to their defense tactics. If they where honest and fought an honest battle, things may be different.

That's what I think anyway. I also think there is a lot of art out there that people should not be denied it just because they can't afford it. We all have one life and we want to enjoy it.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Lynton even threw in a few numbers, indicating that top movie studios made 162 films: over 40 less than the number filmed in 2006, and the lowest number in a decade."

Course that has nothing to do with the current economy and people not spending what money they have on overpriced movies that just might not be worth the $10 per person. Its all those evil pirates fault.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
blatant lies Sony. Cams are horrendous to watch, if it's a good movie it will sell well. Movie theaters have not yet been significantly effected by the recession.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
there is a reason why you hear about the riaa more than the mpaa thats because most people who pirate the movies are in other countries where the mpaa cant do crap to them.

also if you thought movies were expensive to see in the US, try watching a movie in another country, it becomes more expensive even though people in the other countries make less money. release movies world wide then charge like $1-2 to watch the movie

and everyone will come to see it because theres less risk involved, especially if it can be $1, if your watching a movie and it starts to suck, walk out and buy another ticket and watch a different movie in the same building.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Hmm. This is for the “I should be allowed to- I’m special” crowd.

You're sneaky, bitchy thieves. You're not "helping", you're not "sticking it to the man", you're just tight-fisted liars. You don't convince me that anything other than meanness, an incredibly self-righteous attitude and a childish insistence that you should have everything instantly and for free because you deserve everything lies behind your gripes.

I'm assuming a lot of you don't work and are in school. Here’s a “big world” fact for you:
People's jobs generally depend on people paying for their labours and produce.
To claim that "they should make a better product" is just facile. If the product was that bad then clearly there wouldn't be 250k downloads of "whatever the latest blockbuster is". The reason it's being downloaded is either because people are too poor too buy or that they’re too mean to buy. Don't try to pretend it's a moral crusade against the greed of big business- these actions show that the pirates are equally greedy. Unless they’re giving the cost they have deferred to charity, they’re simply thieves.

As to high cost putting people off the cinema, well, would you go stealing in your local grocery store when grapes are out of season? You don’t, do you? You either buy or you don’t have.

Over the last few years I’ve heard dozens of people give various excuses for their theft. “Try before you buy” is always popular, but I have noticed that people who regularly “try” seldom “buy”. This is especially the case with PC games as why buy when you have already finished it? It’s just another excuse for what people really know is just theft.

As for the “need a better business model” argument, that pre-supposes that any business with costs can exist with zero revenue. There’s only so much advertising out there, so that’s not going to support free services for ever.

Finally, how many of these thieves go robbing in their local department store? Very few. Why? Because their “sticking it to the man” courage deserts them in the face of detection and prosecution. The final reason they do it is because they think it is low risk. They’re just sneak thieves.

I’m looking forward to loads of thieves giving me a thumbs down for telling them the truth. Thanks, thieves!

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]potatolord[/nom]Hmm. This is for the “I should be allowed to- I’m special” crowd.[/citation]

You're kind of a whiny little pussy aren't you? You must be great at parties.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
IMHO, Sony thinks that this will prevent the movie from being pirated. It almost certainly will not.

I also think that Sony is kidding itself if they think that the reduced number of movies made this year compared to 2006 is solely due to pirating. Perhaps they want us to think this way, however, I am willing to bet that part of the reason for the reduced number of films made this year is because of the global economic conditions.

Unfortunately, I think this kind of thinking is pie-in-the-sky kind of thinking similar to networks popping up "snipes" during our favorite shows thinking that that actually draws hoards of viewers to what they are advertising in the snipe.

For me, a snipe is something to ignore, and I expect that it is something to ignore to many people now.

I really wish that they would stop worrying about pirating and find a way to work with it. They will never avoid it. Personally, I think such worry actually hurts the market. I, for one, would like to buy a stand-alone Blu-ray recorder; however, being a US resident, I cannot yet do so, and I expect that at least part of the reason is that piracy is a concern. So far, I have avoided getting a Blu-ray player because I am waiting for a stand-alone recorder, and I know for a fact that there are others like me who are not adopting because of this. Almost certainly, this is hurting Blu-ray in the US.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]You're kind of a whiny little pussy aren't you? You must be great at parties.[/citation]

Do you know, it's rather telling that you can't actually deal with any of the points I made and just post this (and I have to say "incredibly weak") funny line?

I'm not going to bother insulting you, just looking at your post pretty much shows you up for the sort of person you are. Well done, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.