Sony: Wii Owers Will upgrade to PS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There could still be a lot going for the PS3 but Sony made too many mistakes trying to put too much in the console. DVD9 is a perfectly fine current gen format and that has been exemplified by the success of the Xbox 360. It is nice to have blu-ray but Sony should have had a console with blu-ray and a console without blu-ray and mandated that games be developed on DVD9. If you want blu-ray and want to play games fork over the extra for the PS3 w/ blu-ray. Another thing I don't need is media card readers, bluetooth, wifi, and massive hard drives. I don't plan on downloading any games, my Xbox is next to the router, I don't have a digital camera, and I am fine with regular wireless controllers.

How much money could Sony have shaved off the console offering a blu-ray less, bluetooth less, 10GB HDD, media cardless, wifi-less console? I bet that machine would be around $200-$300 right now and selling a hell of a lot more than the $400 PS3 that Sony is losing $150 on every time someone buys one. If you want all of those features by all means by the "Plus" version but don't force features on everyone and simultaneously raising the price beyond what the average consumer wants to spend. Every great game for the PS3 could be made on a PS3 without all of the fancy crap Sony shoved down our throats. Poor poor decision.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Sony: Wii Owers Will upgrade to PS3

LOL Owers. Who owes anything to the Wii?

Obviously you mean owners. ;) I don't own a console these days (well, I have an OLD Xbox but never use it). Their asking prices are kind of ridiculous in my mind. However, I do like the idea that PS3 has Blu-Ray. It's about the price of some Blu-Ray players, and can play games. So it's got that going for it.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
How can everyone ignore the fact that plenty of people own a Wii but software sales for it are horrible at best compared to the amount of consoles in the marketplace. Plenty of actual gamers (people who actually play games) own two systems and will have to continue to own something in addition to their Wii if they actually want to have fun, or play a game online.

Also, it's interesting to note how many of you talk about how difficult it is to program for PS3. Do you know why? It's not a PC clone, and it's almost brand new hardware. Wii is a suped up Gamecube. All the developers that had been making games for GC (including Nintendo themselves) already had years of development experience. All the extra controls of Wii were gimmicky at best and didn't require anything new. Nintendo hardware is already maxed and the games still don't look like anything special. People are going to have to play something when they get tired of Wii.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Why is it in every article about the PS3 someone has to say its a dead console, they lost the race already, blah blah blah.....

I don't any current generation consoles, but we will probably purchase a PS3 this holiday season due to my sons love of the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series. Price cut or not, it doesn't really matter.

What I find interesting is that the 360 has sold just over 30 million if I remember resent articles, and the PS3 has sold over 20 million units in a year less time, including one very important holiday shopping season with no competition at all for the 360, compared to the PS3 entering already in a three cart race against the Wii that is kicking both the other consoles butts and yet it should just give up and is such a lost cause. its kind of humorous in a way.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i got a ps3 and a wii. i got my PS3 a few months ago and the #1 reason for it was of the crashbox's high failure rates. never regretted it at all. although i still got an extended warranty for it. not that i don't trust it just that it better for my investment. have had been buying consoles since the 1980's and never had one fail on me including my ps2 which can still read every disk i put in it

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Don't be surprised that one day Sony and Ninentendo get in bed and decide to make Wii games playable on the PS3 through an emulator. Oh man.[/citation]

you really think that? nintendo's bad relationship with Sony was the reason the playstation ever existed.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Oh, i forgot to mention that the reason we have no current gen consoles so far is that we have 3 PS2, 3 xbox, 1 gamecube, 3 DS, and 3 GBA for the children but the wife and I have gaming PC's.

We were going to upgrade the xbox units to 360's but my brother-in-law, three cousins, two of my sons friends on our street that he plays halo with on the original xbox have all purchased 360s and have ALL had to send them in for repair at least twice and only one of them still has that same unit, as they have all purchased second units to upgrade to the pro and halo editions etc.

So despite my sons longing for one to hand with his friends in newer games i chose not to invest in a product that is far more likely to fail that any consumer electronic device in this day and age is really exceptable.

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
"Based on past numbers, Nintendo Wii owners are more likely to upgrade to the PlayStation 3 when the price is right."

They are right.

When the PS3 is $150, the size of a Wii, and isn't louder than a diesel truck engine, a lot more will sell.

Would also go a long ways if Sony could also convince my girlfriend that a PS3 is as fun, cute, and silly as a Wii.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Don't be surprised that one day Sony and Ninentendo get in bed and decide to make Wii games playable on the PS3 through an emulator. Oh man.[/citation]
You sir, are an idiot.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]snowysoul[/nom]... I own a PS3 and a 360, and have bought many games for the PS3 over the 360 however since more games are only 360 like Fable 2, Halo 3, Left 4 dead...[/citation]

Left 4 Dead is only only game you listed not published BY MICROSOFT!!!

I agree with you but try and come up with a better argument by listing games like Gears of War and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Games published by companies other than the console maker.

decoppel

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
To anyone saying the PS3 doesn't have games.

I challenge you to buy a PS3 and buy all of their exclusive blockbusters (if you don't know what they are you've already failed) and tell me their library or online is not as robust.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have a PS3 and a Wii. I play my PS3 waaaaaay more than my Wii. Plus I use the PS3 for my DVD player (upconvert!), Blu-ray player, and movies I download on my PC and play via a USB drive with the remote (not the gamepad). I also stream music from my PC to my PS3 and use the remote to control that too. Sony's new motion controller is incredible and once it comes out with a decent game following, my Wii is going on ebay. No need for it anymore. The PS3 is f-ing amazing. I love it.

G

Why would my wife bother buying an new machine with upgraded graphics? She'll probably will never know the difference. Nintendo stuck to its root by targeting a new market composed of first time console buyers, moms, and kids. The problem is sony doesnt get it. Some players are hardcore and some are not. How would sell the concept of breath taking graphics to a 6-8 yr old while all they care about is the enjoyment of the game and having fun.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I own wii and 360, wouldn't dream of getting a PS3. Also why make analogies to upgrading N64 to PS2? That makes no sense, they weren't even remotely in the same generation.

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I actually did the exact thing that the guy they interview said. My family had a N64, then we got a PS1 very late into it's life cycle (the one with the screen attached), then we got a Gamecube, then we got a slim PS2, then a Wii... I do think that Sony isn't doing too well because of the whole $400+ for a system thing, but more importantly, because the PS3 doesn't have the ability to play PS2 games (what I personally think is worst about it) and because developers figured out that making a hit game for one system isn't as profitable as porting a hit game to all of them (aside from the Wii). Even old reliable exclusive game titles like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear are now being ported; all the better for the PC though.

G

Another arrogant statement by a company that is in total denial. The PS3 has been out for 3 years on November 11. Exactly when is it supposed to catch on??

zaxonr34

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
PS3 has no hope as gaming system. The only thing it was good for was making all my HD-DVD movies cheaper to buy. After Sony won the blue ray battle I got tons of HD-DVD movies for $5 to $6 a piece. That's at least one thing I can thank SONY for. And I only paid $100 for a blue-ray/HD-DVD player for my PC. PS3 is such a joke. I wonder how many people actually play games on it versus only watch movies on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.