Question Sony X800E + Ultra ROKU — Malfunction?

NewsView

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
Hi,

I just took my first dive into 4K UHD/HDR television. I upgraded my ROKU 3 to an Ultra and bought certified 4K Ultra HDMI cables. I have only have 9 days left to return/exchange the SONY X800E I bought if it's malfunctioning in some way. With that in mind, I have two areas of question.

During setup, I configured HDMI 2 to "Extended", to which I connected the ROKU Ultra using a 60fps/4K connection configuration. I'm fairly sure I have it set up correctly but when I hit "Display" on the SONY remote it always reports the same 4K UHD resolution even when the content is not 4K. So my first question is whether or not there is a way to get into a menu where I can see what the underlying signal is vs. the Sony up-converted resolution? (The only other approach I know of is to exit whatever I'm streaming and view the ROKU setting, which simply reflects that the cables are connected properly to support 4K/60fps.)

From a Tom's Guide on how to get the best picture from your 4K TV, I read the following: The latest 4K HDR formats, such as HDR10 and Dolby Vision, contain information within the signal (so-called metadata) that is supposed to tell the TV exactly what to do, automatically. This format is relatively immature, and in my experience, it hasn’t always worked. If you suspect that the TV hasn't switched to 4K or HDR mode, you'll have to go into the settings to check. Make sure HDR is on, and look for the color to be set to Native mode, if it’s available.

The Sony is supposed to "AUTO detect" when an HDR signal is present. However, because nothing changes about how the content is tagged when I press "Display" on the remote, I am having difficulty verifying that whatever is streaming is native 4K vs. up-scaled 1080p content. In addition, HDR or words to such effect do not appear even when I stream 4K Ultra content. In any event, I'm at a loss as to how to force the Sony into displaying relevant info. (As an aside, I came across another setting option: the 4.2.0 vs. 4.4.2. I may not be quoting those numbers exactly right but for those who know what I'm driving at, what role do they play in what I believe is a failure on my set to properly display 4K content?)

Second and lastly, I am having color issues. Cinema Pro, Cinema Home, Animation and Graphics throw off the white point so badly that the color white appears yellowed and all people look jaundiced. (Meanwhile, if I force the TV to use HDR10 or the Vivid Picture preset, the result is a garish, "Simpson's color".) Standard Picture is better; however, "neutral" is not neutral at all (Sports is closer to neutral than neutral is!). While all TVs I have owned in the past required color adjustments, including a prior Sony BRAVIA I owned, this set takes the cake for how many "advanced" picture settings I've had to alter. I have found it possible to correct the yellow cast manually — by borrowing from my experience editing photos in Photoshop — but it leaves me wondering how much I should accept as normal behavior for the color presets?

If any other owners care to chime in either on how to go about verifying the Auto HDR functionality short of forcing it on/off manually every time I attempt to view 4K — or to comment on whether their own Sony picture presets "out of the box" are supposed to be that warm, please jump in.

NewsView

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
For the sake of anyone else who finds this in a Google search and wants to know what ROKU support docs currently don't explain about streaming 4K HDR content, I am posting this update.

While I can't confirm it, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the HDCP headaches people experience — which they often blame on their HDMI cables — is, in fact, a product of the fact that the HDCP handshake must take place between HDMI ports that do not share identical standards (i.e. HDMI port is 2.0 but connected device is 2.0a or newer).

For more information, here's a guide worth reading: "Ultimate Guide to 4K TV and Device Connectivity: HDMI 1.4, HDMI 2.0 Cables, HEVC, HDCP, and VP9".

Last edited: