Solved! Sony Z Series Screen Flicker

satori108

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I have a brand new Sony Z series laptop, and since the second day, it has a serious screen flicker issue. It happens only when IE is running, and most severely when you move the mouse, especially over any links on a web page. Basically the screen flashes on and off very fast (several times per second). It does not alway do this, but once it starts, I am forced to restart the computer because it is so bad I cannot work while it's doing this. I happens with battery and AC, and on any graphics setting.

I first tried reinstalling the video drivers, IE, and doing all updates. I spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support, to no avail. I took it to the local Sony Store, and they said I could either send it in (for 4-6 weeks!!!) or try reloading Windows. I reloaded the OS through the recovery process, which I'm not sure is as good as a full format. During the reload, I got a registry error (file not found), but it finished the install.

This fixed a previous issue with bluetooth and the touchpad jummpiness, but the screen flicker started up again the following day. I reloaded Windows AGAIN, thinking the error I got the first time might have cause a problem. But this time I got a new error, and again it finished the install. It didn't come with disks, but I wondered if it is possible the recovery partition is corrupted and this is causing Windows to not be loaded correctly? I just don't know if I burned the Windows DVD disks and then tried, if it would bypass that potential problem. I borrowed the Windows disks from a friend with a Sony S series, but I'm not sure if they are compatible.

Any ideas? I spent $3000 on this laptop, and I cannot just leave it with them for a month or two. I've already spent 10 or 15 hours on this problem, and Sony refuses to do anything more. I am just about ready to throw it out the window and buy some $500 laptop that actually works.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
It sounds like your screen inverter is going bad. You can take it apart and measure the output voltage. If it's not 500V or so, you should replace it.