Sony's Letter to Publishers Regarding PSN Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
wow...hope they get their newtworks back up soon....too many people have been affected...hope they find out who did this....i dispise cybercrime

G

Although I regret the incident and the blame lies at Sony, I do not believe they should be the ones to compensate the partners that publish games for the PS3 - Those publishers have chosen to develop and publish games for this platform, and thus do so at their own risk. However, it would be a shame to see companies like Capcom and such put their focus on another platform because of this incident, although it seems likely.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Why do these advertisements keep popping up in your comment section, it's very annoying, especially went it's a notification of another comment.

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]"the forensic team"....I didn't know someone was killed during this process.[/citation]
Forensics is a broad range of subspecialties which use techniques adapted from the natural sciences to obtain criminal or other legal evidence.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Bottom line: They got lazy in the sony's IT Department. When hosting a server farm that has access from the outside in on the internet to offer up a service, one must spend their days being paranoid. They did not. I hope they fired the technical leaders (Be them VP's, managers directors, etc) cause they are less an adequate.

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[citation][nom]thekurrgan[/nom]Bottom line: They got lazy in the sony's IT Department. When hosting a server farm that has access from the outside in on the internet to offer up a service, one must spend their days being paranoid. They did not. I hope they fired the technical leaders (Be them VP's, managers directors, etc) cause they are less an adequate.[/citation]

Don't make it sound like (1) companies can avoid getting hacked and (2) that every company has information paramount to what you see present in financial institutions. Your idea of someone "being paranoid everyday" would just have instant appeal to anyone obviously; "hey want a 100% stressful day where you're afraid of everything!". Yes I can see the appeal of that.

No company is going to get the type of team or security measures in place that has a pretty good defense unless its a pretty high, up~there financial institution and even then it'd be easy to at least attack it to investigate for further vulnerabilities and rip out some info.

People want to keep pirating games and bit**ing they can't, really whatever, just stoping your whining about Sony. When my friend was a developer his basic feeling was "I created some content and yea its feels shitty people just wanting it for free". Individuals who keep complaining about "oh when the other OS was around sh*t was fine" seem to ignore how much sh*t was and still is being pirated for the PS3.

At this stage, if Sony wanted to pay for all of these enhancements, guess they should just charge a monthly fee and follow the XBox 360 because all of this sh*t with Anon, players and other developers being attacked is getting out of hand and ridiculous at this stage.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]sdeleon515[/nom]Don't make it sound like (1) companies can avoid getting hacked and (2) that every company has information paramount to what you see present in financial institutions. Your idea of someone "being paranoid everyday" would just have instant appeal to anyone obviously; "hey want a 100% stressful day where you're afraid of everything!". Yes I can see the appeal of that. No company is going to get the type of team or security measures in place that has a pretty good defense unless its a pretty high, up~there financial institution and even then it'd be easy to at least attack it to investigate for further vulnerabilities and rip out some info. People want to keep pirating games and bit**ing they can't, really whatever, just stoping your whining about Sony. When my friend was a developer his basic feeling was "I created some content and yea its feels shitty people just wanting it for free". Individuals who keep complaining about "oh when the other OS was around sh*t was fine" seem to ignore how much sh*t was and still is being pirated for the PS3. At this stage, if Sony wanted to pay for all of these enhancements, guess they should just charge a monthly fee and follow the XBox 360 because all of this sh*t with Anon, players and other developers being attacked is getting out of hand and ridiculous at this stage.[/citation]

Did you miss the bullet point?: appointment of a new Chief Information Security Officer.
Either they sacked the old one or they didn't have one.
If they sacked the old one, then we are seeing what happens when penetration testing was not done properly.
If they didn't have one, then Sony was negligent.

Either way... Sony is to blame here.

Next question: Would we even be here if Sony had not remove OtherOS, followed by GH publicity?
I think not.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Did you miss the bullet point?: appointment of a new Chief Information Security Officer.Either they sacked the old one or they didn't have one.If they sacked the old one, then we are seeing what happens when penetration testing was not done properly.If they didn't have one, then Sony was negligent.Either way... Sony is to blame here.Next question: Would we even be here if Sony had not remove OtherOS, followed by GH publicity?I think not.[/citation]

You do know the hack was done using a KNOWN vulnerability right? They claimed that they did not know about it at the time but that either shows that they dont keep up to date on the security of the software that they are using or they're lying and they didnt want to cough up to upgrade the software.

so either way sony failed to protect its users and the publishers

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
PSN is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... kind of...... the new update 3.61 is up for download.. however the PSN restoration is state by state in the US... Now we have the New Englands (including NY)and CA back.... more are coming!.

You can see the detail info from www.Engadget.com

hemi7382

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I think one publisher at least will sue Sony for this in order to try and recoup some lost revenue. However, I don't agree with suing Sony. I don't like what the hackers did, and at the same time s#@! happens. Whatever. It is what it is. On a side note I'm sure the market for cyber security will see a spike in demand after this fiasco, though, if it hasn't already happened.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
on a side note....anyone want sandal 32$....whatever the hell that is...Oh yes just what i always wanted a puma slipper woman? Perhaps i should click the link and get this deal before it expires..Wait...look...its a handbag for 33$. Seriously? Anyone who reads toms hardware and read the comments are nerds. Not to mention i'm not even sure what half of it is? AF tank woman....I have to say this one sounds pretty intriguing....wait what i'm i talking about. Marketing 101, Wrong area spambot, We are not your target market "If anything we going to click that link and fuck you up". Anonymous should fuck the person spamming here right the hell up. Fucking Nigerians.....I know...Consider Nigerians a stereotype and not a racist remark.

jimkiler

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
The publishers do not have a basis to sue. Are they guaranteed access to PSN and revenue? While I do not have a copy of the contract I doubt it. It is silly for Tom's to even think they could be compensated.

Status
Not open for further replies.