Sound bar woes

Firebrain

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Please help, I have just purchased a Panasonic sound bar and have connected to my toshiba 42xv555d tv through an optical cable and can't get any sound. My sky box is upstairs and sky works through a magic eye. The only picture I get is sky in atv mode. The optical cable only works in dtv. The sound bar doesn't have HDMI slot either. Is it something to do with sky and rf out, atv. Can't run a cable from sky optical to sound bar either as it is up stairs. Stuck

Solution
Do you get sound on other sources connected to the Toshiba?
If you don't then check the TV audio menu. Make sure the optical out is on. Sometimes you have to turn the TV speakers off too, Change the audio output type.
If you do then the problem is in the magic eye or the TV. If you can connect an aerial to the Toshiba to check that you get sound from the TV into the soundbar on free over the air programs that would narrow it down.
Do you get sound on other sources connected to the Toshiba?
If you don't then check the TV audio menu. Make sure the optical out is on. Sometimes you have to turn the TV speakers off too, Change the audio output type.
If you do then the problem is in the magic eye or the TV. If you can connect an aerial to the Toshiba to check that you get sound from the TV into the soundbar on free over the air programs that would narrow it down.

Solution