Sound Card Audio Software Question

G

I had purchased a Creative Sound Blaster ZXR for my machine for both gaming and music listening. I had some issues with pops and clicks occurring during audio playback. I was listening to iTunes music from my iTunes account through the web because I had just cleaned my machine and will be re-downloading my songs onto one of my drives. After doing some online research on computer audio troubleshooting and using LatencyMon, I did various audio adjustments through Windows 10 Playback Devices located in the speaker icon at the bottom right of the desktop before I concluded that both my WiFi signal strength and my 4TB external hard drive may have impacted the task priorities of my CPU by placing other processing tasks higher on its list than my music playback. After I disconnected the external drive and switched from WiFi to Ethernet, that seemed to solve the audio problem. I am considering uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card's software with the hope of restoring the sound card to its default settings. Now, I have never troubleshooted a sound card's software before by going through the processes of setting Playback audio from 16 bit to 24 bit and vice versa in Windows 10's settings. If I uninstall and reinstall the sound card's software and, if necessary, disconnect and reconnect the sound card to the motherboard, will the Windows 10 audio settings for the card return to the default audio settings like they were when the sound card was installed brand new? Thanks.

Solution
If I uninstall and reinstall the sound card's software and, if necessary, disconnect and reconnect the sound card to the motherboard, will the Windows 10 audio settings for the card return to the default audio settings like they were when the sound card was installed brand new? Thanks.

That depends entirely on how the settings are saved. If the settings are saved in a file that gets deleted as part of the driver uninstall process, then the settings should be restored to default. If not, then the settings will likely be saved even after reinstalling the audio software. The only way to know for sure is to uninstall/reinstall and see what you end up with.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
If I uninstall and reinstall the sound card's software and, if necessary, disconnect and reconnect the sound card to the motherboard, will the Windows 10 audio settings for the card return to the default audio settings like they were when the sound card was installed brand new? Thanks.

That depends entirely on how the settings are saved. If the settings are saved in a file that gets deleted as part of the driver uninstall process, then the settings should be restored to default. If not, then the settings will likely be saved even after reinstalling the audio software. The only way to know for sure is to uninstall/reinstall and see what you end up with.

Solution