Sound Card for HyperX Cloud

Veseliq_Loss

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Hello

I want to buy a sound card for my headphones - HyperX Cloud I, to get the most out of them. In future i might buy a better headset, but for now i am quite happy with them so no hurry.
I currently use the onboard audio(SupremeFX) from my motherboard - Asus H170-Gaming Pro.

Right now i am looking at two options:
Asus Xonar U7 - brand new with 3 years warranty = 76$
or
Asus Xonar D2X - second hand for about the same price as the U7 = 79$

I am only using headphones, so the extra 7.1 doesn't matter.
Can you please help me decide? Or is there a better solution for this budget?

Solution
My personal preference is to use an external USB DAC. No soundcard or driver issues required. Just plug and play any 3.5mm headphones. You won't get cleaner or better sound than by using an external DAC. For virtual surround sound while gaming use a program such as Razer Surround and it work with the DAC.

Use any pair of stereo headphones, not a headset. For the microphone get a desktop USB mic such as a Blue snowball or Samson. If you want a headset style mic, a modmic can be clipped to the headphones and it works quite well.

The H170 Pro has a headphone amp so a soundcard won't really give a great improvement. Better headphones, not a headset would give a better improvement. Something from AKG, Seinheisser, Grado, etc...

Veseliq_Loss

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I can get a second hand ATH-M40x at a very good price right now - 75$. Would that be better? I will still have to change/clean the ear pads and clean the headset with anti-bacterial solutions, but otherwise they look as good as new. But not sure what are the drawbacks of buying second hand headsets.

They still have a few months warranty.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
My personal preference is to use an external USB DAC. No soundcard or driver issues required. Just plug and play any 3.5mm headphones. You won't get cleaner or better sound than by using an external DAC. For virtual surround sound while gaming use a program such as Razer Surround and it work with the DAC.

Use any pair of stereo headphones, not a headset. For the microphone get a desktop USB mic such as a Blue snowball or Samson. If you want a headset style mic, a modmic can be clipped to the headphones and it works quite well.

The H170 Pro has a headphone amp so a soundcard won't really give a great improvement. Better headphones, not a headset would give a better improvement. Something from AKG, Seinheisser, Grado, etc... Since you already have a headphone amp on the motherboard, new headphones would give superior sound, keep using the motherboard sound, and just get a Samson USB mic or a Blue snowball. That would be a nice upgrade without having to get a soundcard.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Those audio technica headphones arn't bad. But they are only $79 new on Amazon in the US. Plus you would need a microphone as those are only headphones.

Those also have a removable cable which is nice. They'll last a long time without having to open them to solder a new cable. When it breaks just unplug it and replace it.

Veseliq_Loss

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I personally don't like all that Surround features. They just destroy the quality. So i like to keep it clean and simple. That means no headsets with 7.1 crap features.
I am really considering the second hand АТХ-М40x now, because it will be the least expensive solution - 76$ ... or i can get them new for 106$.
That because i have heard good things about these headphones. I don't want to stretch my budget too much as i am not such an audiophile ...

Also i don't need a microphone. Just for skype from time to time, so one cheap Zalman or even Blue snowball(if i find any in my area) for best quality.

I live in Bulgaria, so prices here are not quite as good as those in US. Wish i could use your stores though :D

Veseliq_Loss

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
A very sudden turn of events ... Almost like a curse? :D
Last night i developed a constant ringing in one of my ears, and now i can't use headphones for at least 20 days ... nice ...
So i guess a 2.0 speakers(EDIFIER R1280T) it is ... I am sorry for loosing your time :(

Veseliq_Loss

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I read pretty bad things about Logitech and Creative lately. Years ago, they were great really. But their newer models ... I bought for my father a low end Z200, and it they were terrible. Build quality and sound both. I felt guilty ... Might be wrong though. I have not listened to all their speakers.

I like that the Edifiers have a nice build quality. Also some good reviews for them in that price range. And i am looking at 2.0, because i barely have the space for the Edifiers on my desk(24" monitor + FD Define R4) ... and i have no space for 2.1(can't put the sub in my feets).

I am still considering though ... still looking at reviews ... will see.

Also have my eyes on Microlab Solo 2 ...