Sound from Dell Laptop to Samsung TV not working...

Buskieboy

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
I connected my laptop to my Samsung TV via a DVI/HDMI converter cable. Picture is fine. I know DVI etc. doesn't provide sound, but I can't get the sound from my laptop to the TV. Only to an external speakers. I am not sure where or how to plug in my sound from the headphone speakers on the laptop to the TV. I've tried the DVI/PC plug, but that doesn't seem to work either. I even tried plugging the 3.5 jack into an composite RC plug and tried it that way but no joy either. I've looked at the sound preferance but find no "make TV the device" etc.
Any ideas?

HDMI should transmit audio from PC to TV along with the picture but you are using a converter cable. The connection needs to be HDMI at both ends so it's HDMI out (from the laptop) and HDMI in to the TV.

By using a converter cable, the DVI connector at one end or the other is effectively cancelling out the audio-carrying capabilities of HDMI.

With your existing setup, you'll have to connect some good, active stereo speakers to the laptop's speaker jack.

Buskieboy

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

I appreciate your prompt response! I still can't figure out where or how I'm supposed to connect TO THE TV or configure it if that's part of the solution. I have it plugged into the laptop "headphone/speaker" jack but just can't figure out how it's supposed to attach to the actual TV. It should be so simple; laptop sound out to TV sound in right?
So where or how am I supposed to hook it up to the TV?