Sound Not Playing Through TV When Connected to Laptop From HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastrickland

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014
I'm having a problem with the sound playing on my tv through HDMI connected to my Acer laptop running Windows 8. I've tried messing around with it before and I've read plenty of other suggestions. They always suggest going to control panel, sound, and enabling the TV sound. However, my TV doesn't even show up under my sound devices. I've checked the options to show disabled and disconnected devices and it still doesn't show up.
It's not a problem with the TV or the cord because my roommates laptops work just fine with it. I've also tried several other TVs and cords, and nothing has worked with my laptop. I've had this laptop for over a year and it hasn't worked at all, despite updating regularly, etc. The video shows up fine on the TV, and the sound still plays, but through the laptop instead of the TV.
Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
I have an asus laptop and have had the same problem for the past year. I just found a solution this last Christmas when my family was messing around with it and trying to get it to work. It is a hassle still but it works for me now. We realized tat if the hdmi is plugged into the TV and you restart the computer with the hdmi cable still plugged in when the computer restarts the sound will play through the TV.

It's a hassle because once you unplug it you have to restart the computer again. For some reason the laptop doesnt recognize the TV as a speaker unless you restart the computer. Anyway, I hope this works if you haven't found a solution yet or for those others who may come along with the same problem.

ASUS Q550L notebook: Asus...

Warukyure

Estimable
Have you tried using a different HDMI port, some TV models have HDMI ports that just do video and no sound. Also under Sound, it wouldn't list it as your TV it would be something more like "Realtek HD Audio" or "Nvidia HD Audio" or even "VIA HD Audio" would be what you would normally select to output sound through HDMI. Also try reinstalling chipset drivers from your laptop manufacturer as that controls how digital audio output works.

lastrickland

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014

Like I said, my roommate's laptops all work with this TV, without having ever moved the cable. Whatever the tv would be listed under in Sound, there's no other options besides my laptop speakers. I just tried reinstalling the chipset driver and the sound driver and still no luck.

Jan 9, 2015
I have an asus laptop and have had the same problem for the past year. I just found a solution this last Christmas when my family was messing around with it and trying to get it to work. It is a hassle still but it works for me now. We realized tat if the hdmi is plugged into the TV and you restart the computer with the hdmi cable still plugged in when the computer restarts the sound will play through the TV.

It's a hassle because once you unplug it you have to restart the computer again. For some reason the laptop doesnt recognize the TV as a speaker unless you restart the computer. Anyway, I hope this works if you haven't found a solution yet or for those others who may come along with the same problem.

ASUS Q550L notebook: Asus 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Q550LF-BSI7T21 - Best Buy HDMI sound not playing on TV. HDMI Picture coming through but no sound.

Solution

Stevejames

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015

I have the same computer and the same problem as you. I HATE that this is the only way to get the sound to work. It was working fine just yesterday and why now does it no longer register my tv as a speaker?? is there no way at all to make it work normally? At all?

Christopher_6

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
i have windows 10 I alo came here with the same issue but resolved it after 20 mins of getting nowhere. I vaguely remember what I did but would be more then happy to help. shoot me an email-->

NO NEED FOR DRIVERS ETC.

Anita_

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015

So what did you do?

Newton_1

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015
Why do we have to mail you to get a solution you should put on a public forum? If you have it share it.

Pope Ralph

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
I'm on windows 8.1 and my laptop always played audio and video seamlessly on my tv when connected through HDMI but that was until today. I plugged in the HDMI cable and the sound kept playing through the laptop speakers. I then headed to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Sound and then in the small window that is presented, there were two options: my laptop speaker and my TV.
My computer speakers were selected as default hence the sound was played through the speakers even when connected through HDMI. I then changed that and made the TV the default. That seems to have solved the problem. Now when I connect the HDMI, sound is played through the TV and when I unplug the cable, it is rerouted back to the laptop speakers

Kevin_94

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016

It worked for me.THANKS

Gate420

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I find that this is caused bye it not correctly setting the default sound to your tv through the HDMI it will often work and then go back to the default setting. What you need to do is right click the speaker in the bottom right corner click on playback settings then choose the device you want to send the sound to and make it the default sound when you unplug it will simply go back to the pc or laptop speakers. I came here looking for the answer cause i forgot and then I remembered how to fix it.If this doesn't work for you then I have no other way to do it but in most cases this is the issue.

DaJewishKid

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I went into the drivers and found a secondary audio driver that was not my computer's speakers (realTek) and disabled those and restarted my computer. This was after a small update on windows 10 so who knows if that changed the settings. Either way it worked and hasn't stopped working since.

Meezy

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Did u ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem with my Acer loptop on my Vizio tv thru hdmi...

jb2020

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I’ve just solved my problem of no sound via HDMI on Windows 10 on an Acer E5-571 laptop.

On several previous occasions I had tried reinstalling Intel (R) HD Graphics Famly 15.40.3.4248 without it solving the problem.

This time I (re)installed the Intel Chipset Driver 10.1.1.7 first and then reinstalled Intel (R) HD Graphics Famly 15.40.3.4248 and the cause of the trouble (Microsoft’s HD Audio Device) had disappeared and my TV showed up as a device for audio playback with sound on the HDMI connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.