Sound not present at all, suddenly

SkyknightXi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I'm using a 15-ce0xx HP Omen. Today, I suddenly found that the machine couldn't output any sound, whether by speakers or headphones. The sound settings screen says "no output devices detected." I did get an automatic Windows update, but I can't remember if I was able to play sound after that update. What should I investigate to find out how both sound mechanisms got disconnected?

EDIT: The plot thickens. Intel High Definition Audio, under "Other devices", is saying it has no compatible drivers. And it was updated around 4:50 this morning. Only now I'm wondering where to redirect this post, now, because it no longer seems to be machine-specific.

Solution
Method 2 solution here worked perfectly for me. I now have sound again!
https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/10/12/fix-no-audio-output-device-is-installed-error-in-windows-10/

SkyknightXi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Thus far, not so good. I got the following error:

Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!
[Error Code : -0001]

No driver supported in this driver package.

After confirming it, the installation wizard just quit. Installing the graphics driver didn't help, either.

Oct 11, 2018

I received the same error as you. As of right now I'm "resetting" my pc but choosing to keep my files. I am using an HP OMEN 17t, btw, and have received all the same updates/errors as you.

Oct 11, 2018

Having the exact same issues as the rest after the October update.
Hoping that they release a quick fix very soon.

If anyone finds a work around, please let us know.

The silence is killing me.

Oct 11, 2018
System restore actually didn't work. But I did system file checks and used the dism.exe commands, downloaded driver booster (I know third party software, but only one tht had the update for Realtek high def audio for the free version), updated, rebooted, and I had the driver installed.

Only issue now is that I do not have sound through speakers, only headphones. I'm not sure the issue, but check this link for the commands:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-1

I would do this before restoring from a system image. Hope it helps. I'll continue to follow thread.

Oct 12, 2018

guys I also have the same laptop as you and I am having the same problem

Oct 12, 2018

My Omen 17 is without sound too, there was a windows update last I checked and al of a sudden, next morning it wasn't outputting sound. I have uninstalled and re-installed drivers. Edited registry file. I have tried installing from HP directly and get the same error message. As a last resort, I did a refresh and kept my file. This approach didn't work either. The worst part is, I'm having to re-install all my Adobe apps, LOL, Steam and its associated Big title, big storage packing games. To say I'm vexed is an understatement.

One of these companies has to take the responsibility for this! Microsoft or HP whoever, I don't care!

Oct 12, 2018

Don't bother. I just did a restore. it solves nothing. Others have also tried it, thus, save yourself the heartbreak and headache from discovering it for yourself, least, losing valuable installations.

Oct 12, 2018
Greetings from Poland;)
I found solution today:
First uninstal all audio drivers
Next instal from site: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs

(now you can use your headphones ;) )

And at last instal sp89052 - https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops
Remember that the installer will first remove the old driver, then after the reset it will return to the new installation. If there is no installation progress - cancel and run the installer once.

Oct 12, 2018
Here's what I did to restore sound in headphones and mic. Although I hear some static sometimes it's better than nothing for now. Go to device manager, uninstall all drivers on your audio devices. Afterwards right click and click on Intel High definition audio thingy. then click "Browse My computer for driver software", then click let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer. The untick "show compatible hardware" and scroll through the list to find "microsoft" and then find "High Definition Audio Device version:" and pick the most recent one in the list. Hope this helps and if someone finds a better solution please let us know !!

Oct 12, 2018
Method 2 solution here worked perfectly for me. I now have sound again!
https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/10/12/fix-no-audio-output-device-is-installed-error-in-windows-10/

Solution
Oct 12, 2018

Thanks a million! Method 2 works. thanks for sharing.
I'm happy but, also vexed that I refreshed my laptop, despite having everything backed up.

Oct 12, 2018

I did the same! Such a ball ache. Glad it worked mate. :)