Sound Not Working. Realtek Volume Mixer Says Output is Fine. Need Help

stormdrops

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I'm currently experiencing problems with the sound not coming out the speakers of my monitor. Windows Media Player states that it is blowing sound. Realtek HD Audio Manager has a play button that allows you to test your speakers however WILL make sounds.

Here are the specs to my system:

Windows 7 Home Premimum
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: 580 MSI Lightning
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
SoundCard: The one that came with the mother board
Case: HAF X
Monitor VW246H ( Has Speakers which is what I am trying to make work )

I had this exact setup up working and playing music one day ago working no problems what so ever. But in the middle of the afternoon, windows media or what evern the cause of this is just gave out. Like I said, the audio manager says Windows Media Player is fine, Realtek Digital Output is fine, but nothing is coming off of system sounds. Please help. Obscenely aggravated....

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Go to the sound in the control panel and make sure that the sound device you want is set as the default. it should have a check on it.
Is it just media player that is broken or is there not sound from anything, try like pandora or youtube.

Raymort

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I just fixed a similar problem where windows media center had sound, but internet explorer and windows media player did not. Just like you, the volume control showed green bars on the application and my realtek digital output device. I fixed it by going to realtek digital output properties -> advanced -> default format and reducing the bit rate from 96kHz to 48 kHz. Somehow I had chosed a default bit rate that is not supported by my Harman Kardon receiver. Not sure if this helps you since you are using an analog output and monitor speakers.

rennatnave101

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I used to have Realtek, and I experienced what you described about twice a month. Since my PC was upgraded and the motherboard was replaced, I have had no problems. Something leads me to believe that it is a problem linked to Realtek, but I'm no expert.