Question Sound only coming from one speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2019
My Klipsch RP280FA speakers are hooked up to my Yamaha RXV385 receiver. My receiver is on AV2. I'm getting sound from my left speaker, but not my right speaker. When I switch the wires around, I get sound from my right speaker, but not my left speaker. Why? What can I do to fix it?

You have determined that the problem isn't the speakers since either produces sound when connected to the left channel output of the receiver.
Does the same thing happen when you use a different input of the receiver (FM radio is the easiest to try if you have an antenna connected).
If it doesn't then check the cables and source connected to AV2. Reverse the left and right audio cables at the source. If the same speaker doesn't play then then the receiver has problem. If the other speakers starts playing then either the cable or the source have a bad channel.
Turn the receiver off (or turn the volume all the way down) when you reverse the cables.
If it does happen on all sources then there is a problem with the receiver. Hope it's still under warranty.

Sep 11, 2019
Okay, so I tried using another RCA/red and white cable, and that made both speakers work. I'd say that the old cable must've been broken, but the thing is that it worked perfectly with my Pyle receiver, so I don't really understand that...

By the way, I did try switching the cables around, which caused the right one to work, and not the left one.

Here's another question, though. When I use an HDMI cable, both speakers work, but it's significantly quieter than when I use the RCA/red and white cable. Why is that?

Sometimes a cable doesn't fit the jack properly on some gear.
The signal from HDMI is fixed level and is often lower than an analog input. Most receivers don't have an input offset adjustment to level the volume of different sources. If the analog source has an output level control you can turn it down so it matches the HDMI level. That way you don't blast the sound when you change inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.