Sound wont work through receiver

Sep 3, 2018
I have a Sony receiver and a sharp tv. I cannot get the sound to work through my receiver to my tower speakers but can get sound if I turn the receiver off. Video works just fine. I have tried every input and output option available using optimal cables, hdmi etc. please help!

Solution
If you turn the receiver off you can't get sound out of the tower speakers connected to it.
Without model numbers we can't know what connections you have available.
We also can't know what sources you have and how you have them, the TV and receiver connected.
If the sources are connected to the receiver then check the input menu of the receiver to make sure that the correct jack on the receiver is assigned to the correct input.
If the sources are connected to the TV then check the the audio output (ARC or optical out) is turned on in the TV menu. You may need to turn the TV speakers off too,
Do you get sound from the radio of the receiver? Attach an antenna and check that.
If not then the problem isn't in the TV or receiver set up but...
If you turn the receiver off you can't get sound out of the tower speakers connected to it.
Without model numbers we can't know what connections you have available.
We also can't know what sources you have and how you have them, the TV and receiver connected.
If the sources are connected to the receiver then check the input menu of the receiver to make sure that the correct jack on the receiver is assigned to the correct input.
If the sources are connected to the TV then check the the audio output (ARC or optical out) is turned on in the TV menu. You may need to turn the TV speakers off too,
Do you get sound from the radio of the receiver? Attach an antenna and check that.
If not then the problem isn't in the TV or receiver set up but in the receiver hardware.

Solution