Solved! Soundar help

Jul 1, 2019
Hi,
I have a 5 series Samsung tv, older model I believe the model number is LD550-ZA. I want to connect a Samsung soundbar model number HW-R450/ZA. That soundbar only has a aux or optical connection. Im considering getting an optical to hdmi adapter but im not sure if that will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Without the exact model number of your TV I can't say for sure but it doesn't look like your TV has an audio outputs or supports HDMI-ARC. That means you can't connect a soundbar to it directly or with a simple adapter.
Your options are
  1. You can get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. Connect all your external sources to it with HDMI. Connect the HDMI output of the switch to one of the TV HDMI inputs. Connect the soundbar to the switch. Use the optical connection if possible. You won't get sound from the TV tuner though.
  2. You can connect a speaker to line level converter to the wires that connect the internal TV speakers. That will give you a compatible connection for the aux input of the soundbar. This will work for...
Without the exact model number of your TV I can't say for sure but it doesn't look like your TV has an audio outputs or supports HDMI-ARC. That means you can't connect a soundbar to it directly or with a simple adapter.
Your options are
  1. You can get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. Connect all your external sources to it with HDMI. Connect the HDMI output of the switch to one of the TV HDMI inputs. Connect the soundbar to the switch. Use the optical connection if possible. You won't get sound from the TV tuner though.
  2. You can connect a speaker to line level converter to the wires that connect the internal TV speakers. That will give you a compatible connection for the aux input of the soundbar. This will work for all sources and the TV tuner.

Solution
Jul 1, 2019
Your options are
  2. You can connect a speaker to line level converter to the wires that connect the internal TV speakers. That will give you a compatible connection for the aux input of the soundbar. This will work for all sources and the TV tuner.

Option 1 worked great. Thanks a lot!