Soundbar and Receiver

sh80

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
I have surround sound speakers connected to my Onkyo receiver; however no sub. I recently purchased a Samsung sound bar with a wireless sub.
I can't figure out how to hook this up so that the soundbar works through my receiver. I tried hdmi out from the receiver in to the soundbar a
nd then out from the soundbar in to the TV. Buy this didn't work. I could only get sound from one of these items but not both at the same time.
Any help is much appreciated. I realize that a soundbar and a receiver is redundant.

Here are my devices:

Soundbar
Samsung - 2.1-Channel Curved Soundbar System with Wireless Subwoofer - Black
Model Number: HW-J4000/ZA

Receiver
Onkyo - 700W 5.1-Ch. 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
Model Number: TX-SR353

TV
Samsung - 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) - LED - Curved - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range
Model Number: UN65MU8500FXZA

Solution
Thanks for the detailed info on your system. Makes it much easier.
The soundbar is designed to work without a receiver.
The receiver is designed to work with passive speakers & active sub (including a passive LCR speaker for all three fronts) but not with a soundbar/sub.
That soundbar doesn't have a center channel so the best you can do is to set the system for 4 channels.
If you have to use it then
Connect a speaker to line level converter to the front speaker terminals of the receiver.
Connect the output of that to the aux input of the soundbar.
Don't connect the sub to the soundbar yet.
Set the soundbar volume up about 75% of full volume (or as close as you can come to that). The exact level doesn't matter but if the volume is too...
Thanks for the detailed info on your system. Makes it much easier.
The soundbar is designed to work without a receiver.
The receiver is designed to work with passive speakers & active sub (including a passive LCR speaker for all three fronts) but not with a soundbar/sub.
That soundbar doesn't have a center channel so the best you can do is to set the system for 4 channels.
If you have to use it then
Connect a speaker to line level converter to the front speaker terminals of the receiver.
Connect the output of that to the aux input of the soundbar.
Don't connect the sub to the soundbar yet.
Set the soundbar volume up about 75% of full volume (or as close as you can come to that). The exact level doesn't matter but if the volume is too low you won't get the front levels to match the other speakers.
Using the receiver speaker menu set the front speakers to large, center to none, sub to none, surrounds to small. Set the distance/delay and levels as per the receiver manual.
Then do the sub/soundbar set up.
Good Luck.

Solution