Soundbar and TV Connection issues

TheBoax

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
I had bought a new sound bar and wanted to connect it to my TV. However, the TV did not have an optical cable so I ended up buying an RC cable (https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40465-Value-Audio/dp/B0019MCI94/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516329345&sr=1-12&keywords=rca+cable) and an RC and Optical converter ( https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01AWBA8U8/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512877611&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+optical+audio+converter) and I connected the optical cable from the soundbar to the convert then the RC cable into the converter and into my TV, but the sound still comes from my TV and not the sound bar

Solution
1) Go into the TV options and try disabling the internal (Built-in) speakers and select External speakers.
2) You Soundbar appears to have a 3.5mm stereo input (portable in). You could get a 3.5mm stereo male to 3.5mm stereo male and just connect the TV to the soundbar directly that way. I assumed from the original post that the converter you bought was necessary, but you may not even need it.

TheBoax

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Just recieved the RCA to Digital converter. Plugged in the power to the converter, the optical to the soundbar, RCA to the TV and still nothing works. My TV is the LG Model 42LT560E and I also tried it on my Samsung TV and it does not work either. My soundbar is the LG LAS465B. The wireless function of the soundbar works, however, once connecting it to the TV, nothing comes out of the soundbar but sound does come out of the TV

dudio

Admirable
What does the label on the back of the TV say for the RCA connections you are using?
From what I can find for the TV specs, it doesn't have Audio Out in RCA format. Perhaps you are using the wrong jacks to get the sound to your soundbar.
It does look like your TV has a 3.5mm Audio Out jack. If so, get * THIS * and connect that from the 3.5mm output to the RCA input on the converter.

dudio

Admirable
1) Go into the TV options and try disabling the internal (Built-in) speakers and select External speakers.
2) You Soundbar appears to have a 3.5mm stereo input (portable in). You could get a 3.5mm stereo male to 3.5mm stereo male and just connect the TV to the soundbar directly that way. I assumed from the original post that the converter you bought was necessary, but you may not even need it.

Solution

TheBoax

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Just picked up the 3.5mm cable. Plugged everything in and turned onto the portable selection of my soundbar and there will be a buzzing in the soundbar. I also checked in both my TVs and there are no options for external speakers?

dudio

Admirable
- you sure the cable is good (test it on something else)?
- Can you try a different device into the 3.5mm input on the soundbar and see if it works?
- You have a headset or something you can try in the TV output?