Soundbar only works with tv, not blueray

jmmickler

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
soundbar, only output single audio cable to tv, blueray only output single hdmi to tv. soundbar only works with tv, not blueray

Solution
This is an interesting one since the BD Player only has HDMI out(thanks copy protection, we can not even use the mp3 in on the soundbar).

The TV's 2 output audio formats(PCM and Dolby Digital) are supported by the soundbar so that should not be an issue.

I wonder if the TV can not covert the audio format the bluray disc uses(discs have MANY formats, but should all scale back) to one of its supported formats for some reason.

Can you see if your bluray player can be set to output ONLY PCM(page 24 of online the manual covers this). Also set the TV to PCM. I am trying to get the TV to just pass the same signal along with no processing.

I am not sure how far they go with protected audio these days so you may even be able to try the TV's...

nukemaster

Distinguished
With so many TV's and soundbars we do need lots more info for sure.

If your TV has an audio or line out you can try that to the sound bar, All other devices have to send audio to the TV for this to work.

On top of this all that copy protection gets in the way sometimes. In those cases having all your devices connected to the TV and having a TV with audio return could work. Audio return is a feature allowing the TV to send audio back on an HDMI cable to your soundbar or receiver.

Either way all your devices have to be sending audio to the TV for the soundbar to work. You sound bar should get its audio out from the TV(but it can be connected in different ways so we need more info).

DiegoD

Estimable
May 12, 2015
Nukemaster is correct. Your TV has an optical audio out function and your soun bar, an optical audio in. This would mean that you would still plug all video sources into your tv: Blueray player, DVR, home theater pc. However a single optical audio cord would connect the Tv's audio to the sound bar so that instead of the audio from your devices being output through the speakers of your tv, it will be broadcasted through your sound bar.

DiegoD

Estimable
May 12, 2015

If your Blueray player is also connected to the tv with a sound carrying cable you should have audio. What cable are you using to plug in the player to your tv?

jmmickler

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

hdmi from blueray to tv.

nukemaster

Distinguished
This is an interesting one since the BD Player only has HDMI out(thanks copy protection, we can not even use the mp3 in on the soundbar).

The TV's 2 output audio formats(PCM and Dolby Digital) are supported by the soundbar so that should not be an issue.

I wonder if the TV can not covert the audio format the bluray disc uses(discs have MANY formats, but should all scale back) to one of its supported formats for some reason.

Can you see if your bluray player can be set to output ONLY PCM(page 24 of online the manual covers this). Also set the TV to PCM. I am trying to get the TV to just pass the same signal along with no processing.

I am not sure how far they go with protected audio these days so you may even be able to try the TV's analog out, but that would be a last resort(but all audio becomes analog by the time it hits the speakers).

Solution

jmmickler

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

I'll give this a shot (PCM setting) this afternoon, really appreciate all your help.