Solved! spare parts htpc

chasebreeding

Commendable
Aug 22, 2018
I just replaced my desktop, and have my old desktop sitting in the corner completely unused. It is a Gateway DX pre built, I was considering gutting it and using some of the parts to build a htpc. I was hoping I could use the motherboard, processor, and ram. It has an acer ipimb-ar rev 1.02 motherboard, and a I5 3330 cpu, 8 gigs of DDR3 ram. If I buy a slim micro atx case, would this work, I have even considered putting a budget GPU in it for 4k playback of content.

chasebreeding

Commendable
Aug 22, 2018

would i need a dedicated gpu or would the integrated graphics play 4k streams?

chasebreeding

Commendable
Aug 22, 2018

thanks, ok now for a dumb question, will this video card send video and audio out over the hdmi or video only?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I swapped out my GTX950 for a GT1030 with no fan. Quite pleased with it. 950 went to someone who wanted to play WoW.

Basically every generation I have swapped it for a lesser card that supports HDMI 2.0.

I had a GTX750Ti in there before. But I 'sold' that to someone who wanted to get into rocket league and CS:GO after an accident.

Now all I need is an HDR TV and an HDMI 2.1 card as the next upgrade (hopefully not for many years)

chasebreeding

Commendable
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, really i am just trying to replace my WDTV live box, im sick of it buffering and constantly not playing certain formats, etc. But if I can throw on some SNES emulators too and make use of hardware sitting in the corner, why not right...