Speaker humming noise when its on above certain volume - any way to fix it?

sbi85

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
Hey guys,

This might be something that is not fixable but since I don't know much about audio systems I have to ask.

I have a Microlabs SOLO6c that I've been using for a while now. I've noticed if I increase the volume above 30 (I usually use it around 45 for movies) there is a humming or buzzing noise even when there is nothing going on. The speaker is hooked up to a desktop via a normal jack.

The annoying part is that when the computer is not even turned on the buzzing noise is still there. If I turn down the volume the buzzing goes away also.
Is this buzzing that is something there by default, and it's just the way speakers work or there is actually a way get rid of this?

It's rather annoying when I turn off the computer to get the remote for the speaker and turn the volume down also every time.
If the speaker could be powered down by the remote I would just switch it off but it's only on the back of the speaker, so I just leave it turned on all the time.

Is there a fix to this?

thanks for any advice you can give!

Balint

If the speakers are working properly, there should be no odd sound like that. Try moving them to a different location or room. Also does the buzzing when they are on happen if they are connected to something or not? If you can replace the audio cable, try that. I've seen speakers where the audio cable was picking up interference even when not in use, touching the end of it or covering it with a cover made for it would often fix that.

sbi85

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah when the speaker is not in use it's completely silent, the only humming is when I turn up the volume.
I'll probably try it with a different cable first and see if that makes any difference.