Speaker or SPDIF output

Aria1066

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
I have a Lenovo C20 Workstation with Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio which I connect to my Denon AVR 1800.
I can use SPDIF to SPDIF or I can use the speaker outputs to 6 discrete inputs on the receiver.
Which connection should produce the best sound?

Solution
For movies and music the SPDIF connection is probably better.
For gaming your PC might have some sound processing that would only be available from the analog outputs. Since the cables are not expensive try them both and see.

joex444

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
SPDIF can send digital signals like Dolby, DTS, and PCM directly to the receiver for it to decode. Speaker does the decoding on the board and outputs an analog signal. SPDIF is preferred, but may be complicated to actually configure correctly. Also, one cable versus 6 is rather nice.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Digital optical AC-3 'Dolby is a compressed audio using your mobo DSP -- your analog-outs 'PCM' is lossless multichannel audio passed to processing at your receiver.

edit: I would argue that the digital optical is not necessarily the 'preferred' output

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Outputting audio via the analog outputs basically means you're using the DAC (digital-to-analog converter) from your sound card, rather than the DAC in your receiver. I feel like the one in the receiver will typically be higher quality, meaning it's better to use your digital outputs.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Again, I feel like a receiver could probably do whatever sound processing (e.g. equalization, balance, crossover) a sound card could do, and quite possibly do it better. But yeah, if you're able to test out the difference for yourself you might as well.